Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darrylj9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,678
Message 1 of 38

Ideapad Y710 CD/DVD Drive Missing After Linux Install

Recently, I partitioned my Hard Drive to install Fedora 9 on my notebook. Now, my CD/DVD drive is missing in both the Windows and Fedora partition. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to here them. 

Thanks In Advance 

Lenovo IdeaPad Y710
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.00 GB RAM
kennyCusine
Token Ring
Views: 6,659
Message 2 of 38

Re: Ideapad Y710 CD/DVD Drive Missing After Linux Install

I have fedora 9 installed on mine (y510) and didn't encounter a cd/dvd drive issue. if the drive isn't being detected in cmos, then it means it's not being physically detected with no fault of the software.
chargersfan420
Punch Card
Views: 6,633
Message 3 of 38

I am having a similar problem with my Y710 after installing Ubuntu 8.04.  I have a Vista partition and an XP partition, and the optical drive is still recognized there though...

I haven't found a solution yet, but we have been attempting a few things here in this Ubuntu Forum.  We're not finished troubleshooting yet, so we have nothing definitive.

I have contacted a few Lenovo employees through this forum who said they would be happy to help, but after describing the problem, they appear to be ignoring me now.  It's been 10 days since i heard from either one of them.

Just thought i'd let you know you're not alone.  This is a very frustrating issue. 

Message Edited by chargersfan420 on 08-23-2008 04:00 PM
darrylj9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,597
Message 4 of 38

When I called Lenovo Support they said they didn't do Linux support.

But its Good To know that it's not just me.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y710
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.00 GB RAM
darrylj9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,596
Message 5 of 38

I know there isnt anything wrong with the hardware. My laptob is still able to boot from a CD, it just doesn't recognize the CD/DVD Drive once the operating system (Vista or Fedora) is running.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y710
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.00 GB RAM
kennyCusine
Token Ring
Views: 6,583
Message 6 of 38

well, reading the documentation on the lenovo site under the drivers section, there were some CD/DVD drives that needed a hotfix (for vista) because the driver would keep uninstalling itself, i feel like the same thing might be going on in XP but usually people write open source drivers for linux so i doubt that's the case with fedora.

but if i was you, i'd look into the hotfix to see if that will do anything for you. 

darrylj9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,567
Message 7 of 38

I've tried hotfixes and they don't work. I guess I'll just have to go without using Fedora for a while.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y710
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.00 GB RAM
dueyspuey
Paper Tape
Views: 6,372
Message 8 of 38

I have the very same problem. Vista seemingly "lost" my DVDROM after a repartition and install of Fedora 9. DVDROM does not show up in Vista or Fedora, can boot off of it to load Vista, Fedora or Ubuntu. Very annoying.

Ideapad Y710

Pentium Dual Core

3.00 GB

josepy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,335
Message 9 of 38

I have the same issue on my 710

Hope this can get resolved ....

Joe

dueyspuey
Paper Tape
Views: 6,294
Message 10 of 38

If you pass the kernel parameter acpi=off then you'll be able to access your DVDROM in Linux. Doesn't really explain why it doesn't work in Vista. Incidently my DVDROM is a GSA-T20N made by I believe LG. There are reports of similar issues with Mat**bleep**a drives as well. This doesn't seem to be a Lenovo only problem and may be related to the Intel chipset.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Special_Interest_Linux&thread.id=124

Any ideas...Bueller?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors