Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,803
Message 11 of 38

Re: Ideapad Y710 CD/DVD Drive Missing After Linux Install

Hello:

I also have the same issue with the DVD drive not showing/working after a hardy install on my Y710 and the same thing with my windows partion (in my case I replaced Vista for XP)... the only way to get that drive back in Windows is to completly re-install it... I believe the issue causing this is with the hardy kernels 2.6.24.XX, I wonder with a 2.6.23 (that I can't find) will work...

Has anyone tried other distros?I may just wait for Intrepid to come out and see if the new Kernel corrects this issue...

On another note I was able to install all the drivers that came with Vista on my XP partition (veriface, halo etc)...

Linus Gurus out there HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!

dueyspuey
Paper Tape
Views: 3,800
Message 12 of 38

I was able to get the DVDROM back after a complete fdisk and reinstall of Vista. My guess is the SATA (used by the hard drive(s)) and PATA (used by the DVDROM) interfaces are getting confused by GRUB and the PATA interfaces are being disabled or blocked and neither OS is seeing the devices on the PATA side.

I plan to muck around with my system this weekend when I have some time. I'll post the results of what I figure out. I'm guessing that some GRUB configuration would fix this issue.

I happened across this when looking around: http://linuxgazette.net/141/anonymous.html

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,793
Message 13 of 38

Thank you so much for the reply!  Totally makes sence that it is Grub... I was thinking of installing a boot loader called Gag, that way windows won't loose the DVD and I can always add acpi=off to get the dvd in Ubuntu...

I don't use the DVD alot actually but when I need to use it at one of my Oses need to have it working....

Sure hope this gets fixed and I really appreciate any help towards this bug...

Blessings!

chargersfan420
Punch Card
Views: 3,746
Message 14 of 38

@ dueyspuey - That sounds like the same / similar issue as to what i'm experiencing.  I was just curious if you have GRUB booting either Vista or Linux (Ubuntu?).  I have the Vista Bootloader on the MBR, and if i select Linux, it goes into GRUB.  If GRUB is the cause of the error, it would explain why i have never had problems with optical drive recognition in Vista or XP, only Linux.

I look forward to your GRUB modification results.

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,737
Message 15 of 38

How did you setup a Windows boot loader in the mdr that will give you the option of choosing linux?

I have XP and I was able to install all the drivers fine (I did not want Vista)... 

I myself don't know how to fix this issue so I on my second grub kernel I added the acpi=off so I get the dvd working but the downside is I lose the battery notification and sound doesn't work...

I hardly use the DVD actually but ocasionaly I do for DVD burning, so when I need it I reboot and choose the other kernel... 

I REALLY don't want to go back to XP, so for the time being I use Hardy with out the DVD and reboot into the other kernel when I need to burn a DVD/CD.

I sure hope the next version (intrepid) will fix this bug... Makes sence it is Grub as I have tried other distros and other kernels and all cause the same issue = DVD not working and disabling in the MS partition...

I woud appreciate a detailed how to you setup the MS bootloader on the MBR so it takes you to MS and Linux...

josepy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,699
Message 16 of 38

I am dual booting (Vista/Gentoo) off the MBR using EasyBCD from neosmart (http://neosmart.net/). I was rather simple really.

I've been looking at this problem also. I'm no OS or hardware guru so if I misspeak feel free to correct me. I installed Gentoo via a boot disk so obviously during the install the CD/DVD drive was accessible. I went back and looked at the log messages from the boot and found that SCSI was bound to the ata_ piix drivers. These are the older PATA drivers. When I boot now SCSI is bound to AHCI, which is an open source driver, I'd note that some chip makers, Intel and others have loaded AHCI on their chip set. It took me a while to figure out how to get SCSI to bind to the older PATA drivers, but I finally figured out that if you boot to the BIOS and change the controller (on the Advanced tab) to run as "compatible" instead of AHCI you can get SCSI to bind to the older PATA drivers. I haven't had much time to pursue it much farther than this, but I did note that even when I booted with the PATA drivers, I wasn't seeing the CD/DVD, though I didn't spend much time with this configuration.

My 2 bits

Joe 

josepy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,697
Message 17 of 38

One other thing the ACPI=off trick didn't work for me Smiley Wink your miliage may vary

J. 

chargersfan420
Punch Card
Views: 3,682
Message 18 of 38

It's been a few months since i set it up, but i think i remember exactly how i did it. 

Just as Josepy did, i also used EasyBCD.

Since Vista was already installed, the next step was to install Ubuntu.  When it asked where to put GRUB, i selected /

This meant that when i rebooted, i was back in vista, which is where i installed EasyBCD.  I configured some options in it, one of which that i remember is that it kept saying it couldn't locate the boot sector (or something like that) and i had to manually tell it C: drive every time i used the program.

So now that i had the bootloader booting Vista or GRUB to Ubuntu, XP was next.

When i installed XP, it rewrote the MBR, so i had to download and install EasyBCD for XP, and i set up the bootloader all over again.

If it gives you trouble, let me know and I'll help however i can.

Message Edited by chargersfan420 on 09-19-2008 12:14 AM
arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,651
Message 19 of 38

The ACPI=off does work for me but I rather not use it cause in my machine the sound and the battery doesn't work while acpi is in off...

The question I have is if you installed another bootloader in the MBR instead of GRUB, do you get a DVD/CD in ubuntu/Kubuntu? Right now GRUB is in the MBR and of course I have no DVD/CD, I'm willing to re-install it all IF I will get DVD working or the reason is so I get DVD in windows only?

I sure hope there is a new update to grub that will fix this or some sort of hack... I may just wait for Intrepid to re-install Ubuntu...

On another note, sometime when KDE starts I get this HORRIBLE high pitch continuous beep and the whole thing hangs, I believe is the sound system not properly detecting the sound card, I changed it from autodetect to Alsa and it seemed to stop... and of course sound doesn't mute when you plug the head phones, haven't found a solution yet to that yet...

I really like this computer, so sad these issue with Linux... I'm sure we will get them fixed... hint... hint...

Message Edited by arixavier on 09-19-2008 08:21 PM
chargersfan420
Punch Card
Views: 3,614
Message 20 of 38

I find my system is pretty glitchy with ACPI=off, so to me, it's clearly not an option.  Just out of curiosity, what kind of battery life are you getting?  I'm only getting an hour, and i don't know if it makes that much of a difference, but i'm running virtualbox all of the time.

My theory is that since EasyBCD boots windows (XP or Vista), the optical drive works there... but when i boot to ubuntu, the bootloader on the MBR passes control over to GRUB on the partition where Ubuntu is... no optical drive there.  It looks very much like GRUB is to blame.

I don't know if it's possible to have something other than GRUB (or LILO, which looks like a worse option) kickstart your Ubuntu....

The ideapad discussion on ubuntuforums has more Y510 users than Y710 users, so they don't have the issue, BUT they do seem to know much more than i do about Ubuntu.  Feel free to post questions there.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors