Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,181
Message 21 of 38

Re: Ideapad Y710 CD/DVD Drive Missing After Linux Install

I'm getting about 1 and half hours...

The sound issue (headPhones not muting the speakers) is very anoying as I have a todler and I can't watch movies with heardphones...

So far the DVD, The sound, very important things on a computer makes it quite anoying to use Linux on it...

Sure hope a update will fix...

I use the Y510 forums to get my ATI working, my sound, but all the sugested hacks to get the headphones to mute the speakers don't work for me...

josepy
Paper Tape
Views: 4,164
Message 22 of 38

BTW what version of BIOS is everyone running? and has anyone flashed the latest version from the support site.

Mine states the version is 08ET36WW

I have my doubts about the CD/DVD problem being related to grub. Grub is just the bootloader, the problem is more likely related to interaction between the IDE/SATA the driver AHCI and Optiarc itself.

My 2 bits 

Joe 

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,139
Message 23 of 38

The BIOS version mine came with was newer than the one on the site, so I did not flash it... I also did not have issues related to the Screen brightenes keys being upside down or the camera image being upside down in Linux...

I do think Grub has something to do with it, if I have grub in the MBR linux doesn't see the DVD drive and somehow disables it as well on next windows boot. 

I now have GAG in the MBR and grub in the / and even though I don't have a DVD drive in Linux, at least my windows partition has a working DVD drive, If I need the DVD I simply reboot into Windows...

Regardless of what causes it, I sure hope it gets fixed...

Message Edited by arixavier on 09-21-2008 06:13 PM
Quesar
Paper Tape
Views: 4,043
Message 24 of 38

I found that using lilo instead solves the problem.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=ideaPad&thread.id=3581

josepy
Paper Tape
Views: 4,033
Message 25 of 38

Question:

Based on a very quick (google) search of the Web I am under the impression that LILO installs itself on the MBR, meaning that if you are dual booting LILO must also boot your other OS's correct? Can you configure/force LILO to install itself somewhere other than the MBR?

J. 

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,000
Message 26 of 38

Your root partition / and your MS partition both need to be primary partitions other wise LILO won't work and in my case messed up my MS partition and had to re-install it.

I'm using GAG in the MBR, GRUB in the / and for DVD use I reboot to my MS partition, it's a bandait to cancer I know at least untill either the future Intrepid or GRUB fixes this issue.

chargersfan420
Punch Card
Views: 3,980
Message 27 of 38

Some configs of the Y710 have two HDD's... I didn't have much choice if i wanted to keep Vista, so it stayed as the primary on HDD-a. I ended up putting Ubuntu on the primary partition of HDD-b (which in retrospect wasn't a great idea, being the swappable drive)...

But, if LILO can make this work, does that mean i can go into my BIOS, change the boot order of the hard drives, and set up LILO to the MBR of HDD-b...?

If this is true, and i fail to get LILO working for all three OS's, I could go back into the BIOS and restore the default boot order, and at least Vista and XP would still work...?  With Intrepid coming soon, a fresh install might not be a bad idea...

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,957
Message 28 of 38

I also have 2 HDs, the HDa I have 4 partitions on it, 1 XP (Removed Vista = primary), 1 Ubuntu = Logical (Now I wished I had it done primary as well) , a swap and a large partition for files. My thinking is if something is to happen to my windows or Linux partition my files wouldn't be afected...

The HDb or second HD I use it for backup and for extra file space...

GAG boot loader has made so the DVD works in Windows. For me to install LILO in the MBR I would have to convert my Linux partition from Logical to primary and re-install/re-configure it all and right now all is running so nice with the exception of the DVD. And since I don't use the DVD drive trhat much I'm hoping a grub fix is coming, If no grub fix is done, I may just convert my linux to primary and re-install it and put LILO in the MBR...

Whatever you setup to be the ACTIVE primary partition in LILO will be the one that will boot into by default, by holding the SHIFT key will give you the other options to boot into...

I messed up my XP partition after finding out that LILO won't boot into my Linux one since it wasn't a primary partition, when I tried to remove LILO somehow messed up my XP and I had to re-install it...

I haven't heard many good things about LILO so in your case the worst is a re-format and re-install it... Make a backup of your files just in case. Good luck.

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,811
Message 29 of 38

I can testify that replacing GRUB with LILO fixes the DVD issue.... I now have LILO in the MBR and can multi-boot just fine and the DVD works in all Oses... Just make sure before you setup LILO that both your MS and / are set to be primary partitions.

I tried GRUB2 as well before trying LILO and it dodn't work. GRUB also was causing my HD activity light to stay ON all the time.... Now my HD is working properly.

Message Edited by arixavier on 10-16-2008 03:12 PM
chargersfan420
Punch Card
Views: 3,657
Message 30 of 38

I can also confirm that LILO resolves the issue. 

Due to some other major problems I had with Hardy, I tested it on a fresh install of Intrepid.  So far, no side affects to report, but I have a lot of installing / configuring to do.  Give me a few days and then feel free to ask questions if you're curious about Intrepid with the Y710.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors