English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks Knowledge Base

Ideapad Z400, Z500, Z510 battery will not charge - plugged in not charging

The IdeaPad Z400, Z500, Z510, P400, and P500 systems contain a function which can electrically disconnect the battery. If the battery is in this state, when AC power is attached the system will operate but the battery will indicate "plugged in not charging" and will neither charge, nor power the system.  If AC connection is unplugged, the system will power off.

Lenovo updated the firmware of newer batteries to change how this feature functions. Customers with existing systems who experience these symptoms should update the firmware on their battery. 

Here is the link to download the firmware update from the Lenovo support site for Z400, Z500, P400 and P500 systems. 

Here is the link to download the firmware update directly from the Lenovo Forums for Z510 systems. 

After you download and start the update, please ensure AC is connected to the system and proceed with the instructions as follows:

Z500 battery firmware 1.png

Click Next... the installer will check your current battery firmware level...

Z500 battery firmware 2.png

Click Next again... and check the box to apply the firmware to the primary battery...

Z500 battery firmware 4.png

Press Next again...

AC should be connected so you may ignore any advisory messages (if presented)  that the battery needs to be at 80%. ( It is possible that your battery may be below 80% and you need this firmware update to resolve the no charge symptoms - just proceed by clicking next)

Press next...

Z500 battery firmware 6.png

Ensure AC is connected and click next...

Z500 battery firmware 7.png

The progress meter will display and update as the process completes...

Do not interrupt this process - Do not power off the system until complete.

Z500 battery firmware 8.png

Once the process is completed, click Finish.

Z500 battery firmware 9.png

Now, click this option to shutdown and then restart so that the firmware update will take effect.

If this update was applied proactively, there should be no noticable change in system operation.  If this was applied in cases where the battery was in a state where it would neither charge nor discharge, after the update and reboot, normal charging operation should be restored.

Please Note: There are other possible causes for plugged in / not charging conditions including settings in Lenovo power manager.  Please see this related article on that topic

Was this information helpful?

Yes No

Comments

tomyummmm On 2013-06-26, 7:13 AM

Hi this does not neccessarily solve the problems everyone may face and i have posted a guide on doing so when this fails, mayeb you guys could help vet through my post and correct me if neccessary?  :) 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-Z400-Battery-Plugged-in-Not-Charging-Problem/td-p/1161095 

cemnc85 On 2013-10-28, 13:14 PM

i am having problem in my laptop lenovo p400 battery indicator. when i charge my laptop having 7% battery the light indicator is color orange and after several minutes it already turn white (even it is not fully charged). is it natural ? or there something wrong with this battery indicator? if it is natural how can i know if my battery is already charged without turning it on? please help.. 

nightgardian On 2013-12-14, 5:57 AM

Didnt worked for me. It says "No battery attached requires firmware update". My batteries are not chargin. Please, help.

AxiumX On 2014-01-30, 21:57 PM

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

The IdeaPad Z400, Z500, P400, and P500 systems contain a function which can electrically disconnect the battery. If the battery is in this state, when AC power is attached the system will operate but the battery will indicate "plugged in not charging" and will neither charge, nor power the system.  If AC connection is unplugged, the system will power off.

How do you do this? Thanks.

pathaknitin86 On 2014-02-09, 14:43 PM
pathaknitin86 On 2014-02-09, 14:45 PM

Hi I bought a new Ideapad Y510p in December 2013, my  laptop battery charges till 60% only after that it shows not charging. Help me.......

Daes74 On 2014-02-18, 22:52 PM

Hi, I bought Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 last September (2013) and have not used it for a while. some days ago I realized that the laptop works only when plugged. In other words, the battery is not charging and when I unplug the computer it stops working. before attempting to follow the instructions described above, my question is: if i download the firmware, will my warranty be recognized? Shall I first route my request of assistance to them and then, eventually, perform the update? Thank you.

McCar1862 On 2014-02-27, 19:40 PM

My Lenovo Idea Pad windows 8 battery shows 74% available plugged in not charging If I unplug my power the computer shuts off.

azoooz On 2014-05-05, 9:33 AM

Didnt worked for me ( Ideapad Z500 ). It says "No battery attached requires firmware update".

My batteries are not chargin and still in 0% level :womansad:

help me please 

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop