cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 278,009

The IdeaPad Z400, Z500, Z510, P400, and P500 systems contain a function which can electrically disconnect the battery. If the battery is in this state, when AC power is attached the system will operate but the battery will indicate "plugged in not charging" and will neither charge, nor power the system.  If AC connection is unplugged, the system will power off.

Lenovo updated the firmware of newer batteries to change how this feature functions. Customers with existing systems who experience these symptoms should update the firmware on their battery. 

Here is the link to download the firmware update from the Lenovo support site for Z400, Z500, P400 a... 

Here is the link to download the firmware update directly from the Lenovo Forums for Z510 systems. 

After you download and start the update, please ensure AC is connected to the system and proceed with the instructions as follows:

Z500 battery firmware 1.png

Click Next... the installer will check your current battery firmware level...

Z500 battery firmware 2.png

Click Next again... and check the box to apply the firmware to the primary battery...

Z500 battery firmware 4.png

Press Next again...

AC should be connected so you may ignore any advisory messages (if presented)  that the battery needs to be at 80%. ( It is possible that your battery may be below 80% and you need this firmware update to resolve the no charge symptoms - just proceed by clicking next)

Press next...

Z500 battery firmware 6.png

Ensure AC is connected and click next...

Z500 battery firmware 7.png

The progress meter will display and update as the process completes...

Do not interrupt this process - Do not power off the system until complete.

Z500 battery firmware 8.png

Once the process is completed, click Finish.

Z500 battery firmware 9.png

Now, click this option to shutdown and then restart so that the firmware update will take effect.

If this update was applied proactively, there should be no noticable change in system operation.  If this was applied in cases where the battery was in a state where it would neither charge nor discharge, after the update and reboot, normal charging operation should be restored.

Please Note: There are other possible causes for plugged in / not charging conditions including settings in Lenovo power manager.  Please see this related article on that topic

Was this information helpful?

Comments
tomyummmm

Hi this does not neccessarily solve the problems everyone may face and i have posted a guide on doing so when this fails, mayeb you guys could help vet through my post and correct me if neccessary?  Smiley Happy 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-Z400-Battery-Plugged-in-Not-Charging... 

cemnc85

i am having problem in my laptop lenovo p400 battery indicator. when i charge my laptop having 7% battery the light indicator is color orange and after several minutes it already turn white (even it is not fully charged). is it natural ? or there something wrong with this battery indicator? if it is natural how can i know if my battery is already charged without turning it on? please help.. 

nightgardian

Didnt worked for me. It says "No battery attached requires firmware update". My batteries are not chargin. Please, help.

pathaknitin86

Hi I bought a new Ideapad Y510p in December 2013, my  laptop battery charges till 60% only after that it shows not charging. Help me.......

Daes74

Hi, I bought Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 last September (2013) and have not used it for a while. some days ago I realized that the laptop works only when plugged. In other words, the battery is not charging and when I unplug the computer it stops working. before attempting to follow the instructions described above, my question is: if i download the firmware, will my warranty be recognized? Shall I first route my request of assistance to them and then, eventually, perform the update? Thank you.

McCar1862

My Lenovo Idea Pad windows 8 battery shows 74% available plugged in not charging If I unplug my power the computer shuts off.

atsituabkram

my ideapad z400 is in windows 8.1 pro. i tried to download the firmware update but it is stucked at configuring the program. please help

bdocon

Since I cannot log into the laptop, I can't download anything.  Can you help?

stathisblanas

When I'm running the update, I'm allways receiving the following message:

"The tool was unable to update the battery due to an internal error."

Smiley Sad

Any solution?

bigboy61

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE BATTERY SAYING "PLUGGED IN, NOT CHARGING" THAN DOWNLOAD LENOVO ENERGY MANAGEMENT FOR YOUR PC AND OS AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS! 

SpacePirateSlim

Will this firmware fix work on the Z510 as well? I'm experiencing significant battery issues with my 9 month old Ideapad Z510. 

All,

Newer production models likely ship with the firmware already applied.   If you run the update and receive an error message that the battery does not require the update, then this is likely the case.

This KB does not address all possible reasons why the battery will not charge.

Bigboy61's comment above fairly notes that the power management settings may impact the battery operations.  If customers have wiped the preload and installed a fresh copy of Windows, I would recommend they install the Lenovo energy manager.

Within some versions of energy manager, there are settings for battery health that may limit charging unless below 50-60%, resulting in plugged in but not charging messages.

See related KB -> http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Conservation-Mode-in-Lenovo-Energy-Manage...

rsawahel

I have a similiar problem with the 11 months old Z510. The battery percentage shown is wrong. Its showing me 99% all the time, and suddenly the laptop shuts down after 2,5-3 hours. ( of course without informing me that the battery is low) actually battery life is ok,only the percentage shown is wrong. Can u please help me? I tried to install the firmware update, but it is not working. I have windows 8.1. 

Flomerlita

Sir Mark,

does this work on Z410 as well? or is there another firmware update for newer versions? I only had my laptop for a year now, and my battery is not charging anymore.

ranlenova

Dear Mark,

I purchased Lenova Ideapad Z500 8 months back  .. I am facing similar issue .. its started at 70% available (plugged inbut not charging) now its down to 50% available (plugged in but not charging) inspite of very care ful handling ..

tried all possible options stillnot working .. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

@Mark_Lenovo wrote:

The IdeaPad Z400, Z500, P400, and P500 systems contain a function which can electrically disconnect the battery. If the battery is in this state, when AC power is attached the system will operate but the battery will indicate "plugged in not charging" and will neither charge, nor power the system.  If AC connection is unplugged, the system will power off.

Lenovo updated the firmware of newer batteries to change how this feature functions.   Customers with existing systems who experience these symptoms should update the firmware on their battery .  Here is the link to download the firmware update from the Lenovo support site. 

After you download and start the update, please ensure AC is connected to the system and proceed with the instructions as follows:

Z500 battery firmware 1.png

Click Next... the installer will check your current battery firmware level...

Z500 battery firmware 2.png

Click Next again... and check the box to apply the firmware to the primary battery...

Z500 battery firmware 4.png

Press Next again...

AC should be connected so you may ignore any advisory messages (if presented)  that the battery needs to be at 80%. ( It is possible that your battery may be below 80% and you need this firmware update to resolve the no charge symptoms - just proceed by clicking next)

Press next...

Z500 battery firmware 6.png

Ensure AC is connected and click next...

Z500 battery firmware 7.png

The progress meter will display and update as the process completes...

Do not interrupt this process - Do not power off the system until complete.

Z500 battery firmware 8.png

Once the process is completed, click Finish.

Z500 battery firmware 9.png

Now, click this option to shutdown and then restart so that the firmware update will take effect.

If this update was applied proactively, there should be no noticable change in system operation.  If this was applied in cases where the battery was in a state where it would neither charge nor discharge, after the update and reboot, normal charging operation should be restored.

Please Note: There are other possible causes for plugged in / not charging conditions including settings in Lenovo power manager.  Please see this related article on that topic

lg1
Hi Mark, I have a Z500 which have just stopped charging the battery. I now get the message, plugged in but not charging. I've tried to update the firmware as described in this article, but it seems to get stuck on step one. 'Now configuring the program' What can I do? Thanks.
This article was updated on the 15th January 2016 to include a new firmware upgrade.
sandkjohnson

I noticed the update on January 15, 2016.  Our Lenovo Z500 Touch stopped charging and there are no lights.  My daughter used it in class yesterday and plugged it in when she got low battery.  It would not charge.  We tried our second power adapter and no luck.  It is completely dead, so I can no longer do the firmware update.  Any suggestions. 

Thanks!

mdfahiem

@ Andy / Mark,

Please guide me.

Is there no one in this forum who has faced issue like me?

I bought Lenovo Ideapad Z410 (model no. 20292) in June 2014. Last year whenever the laptop was started, a pop-up window would appear saying "Battery is too weak" with a BUY icon.

Since April 2015 onwards, my laptop is not getting started, its dead.

How can I download battery firmware update without laptop getting started? Please refer the pictures below, once laptop starts it asks for outlook login and after entering the login credentials, laptop just hangs showing nothing (it hangs for hours).
Lenova Start
Lenova After login

I am facing this problem since April 2015 and till date Lenova didn't responded.

Is anyone facing this kind of problem, if yes how did you got this problem solved? Please guide.

Thanks in advance.

Fahim

alex20007231

hi when i want do this says:

there are no attached batteries that require a firmware update 

Smiley Sad

please help me 

SumanthBolla

Hello ,
i am using an lenovo ideapad z510 series laptop.
i recently upgraded it to W10
Then i had this battery problem..i couldn't use my laptop on battery power.
I used to use it on ac power.
later,i found this firmware upgrade tool which was posted by lenovo community administrator itself.
I run the tool and yes the problem is solved partially.
my battery started working properly.
but then i had this new issue..my battery charges only upto 60%.
it never goes beyond it howmuch ever time i keep it plugged in !

Is there any solution that you could help me out with this issue ?

Thanks in advance

Logiczny
(sorry for my english) Unfortunately, that firmware upgrade did absolutely nothing to my battery. My z510 still goes to random shutdown and cant turn on for XX hours - with or without battery and charger - check both or this. (LAPTOP CANT TURN ON WITH CHARGER CONNECTED - WITHOUT BATTERY CONNECTED TO MOTHERBOARD). That laptop and Lenovo technical support (to z510 model) just sucks. Can you guys do a 100% of good job and recode/repair battery firmware to this laptop? Please. Mail me or do anything you want, I can deliver u any details I can. DO SOMETHING LENOVO to your customers.
rzanghi11

I have an ideapad p500 for about five years and there is something wrong with it. I plugged the AC adapter in and it wouldn't charge at all. I didn't see "Plugged in, charging"... I recently bought a new AC adapter and it still doesn't work. Any idea why?

irDiederik
Thx for the solution. I used my Z500 almost 1 year only with AC adapter. Now a can play again when I'm travelling in the train Smiley Happy Diederik
Shubhamr14
I am unable to upgrade the battery firmware , it's shows attached battery doesn't require firmware update . Please help
swagat

same here please help!!!

arashsdg
I cannot upgrade the battery firmware , it's shows attached battery doesn't require firmware update .
Now, the message is ""There are no attached batteries that require a firmware update" I am devestated. please help!!
tarekrahal

I have the same problem 
any help pleaseSmiley Sad

tarekrahal

Hi,

I am trying to install this update but I get this message:

there are no attached batteries that require a frimware update.

current battery code is :  0005-0051-0100-000822222.PNG111111111.PNG

please help me.

thanks.

nj2

Dear Lenovo,

After perusing the recent comments by multiple users on this post from across the world - it appears that the firmware that you had issued last year - has somehow got overwritten / superceded by some more recent/latest updates - sometime in either late 2016  or early 2017.

I am writing from India and facing the same probem that the battery is showing 100% and then going off almost immediately. This probem had fortunately got solved last year when you had issued a firmware update - but now when i am trying to use the same files again - it basically conveys that "no battery available to update" because that particular firmware is already applied on our laptop.

Hence, can you please release newer firmware update for this same issue -  using a z510 system having current till-date updates for different OS - win 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 - same way as you have released for thinkpad series of laptops too.

Come to think of it - that if a fully working battery is being "prompted" as weak and "need to buy" - but actually is a fully functioning hardware - isnt it a bit of a letdown for your users??? - what to say of  some who might have already bought and replaced with newer replacement batteries - which is actually a completely avoidable cost? I am sure you need to resolve this issue soon so as to restore some confidence that you are not only a big brand but also a responsive brand - who is reading and resolving its forum posts!!!

thanks in advance.