Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgkuzyk
Paper Tape
Views: 146
Message 1 of 1

Ideapad Z400, Z500, Z510 battery will not charge - plugged in not charging

I have two Lenovo Y40-70 computers that I purchased within a couple weeks of each other.  They came with Windows 8.1 but I upgraded to Windows 10.

A few months ago, I noticed that my computer battery meter was reading 100% for an hour.  I continued to work unplugged until the battery died while still reading 100%.  I recharged and the battery again read 100% for more than a couple hours, then died.  So the battery lifetime is as good as always, but the reading is not right.  When I reboot, it still reads 100%.

Strangely, the second system, whcih I had not used for a while, was OK, but a few days later, it started doing the same thing (though it was reading 87%, the charge when the computer last worked right.  I suscpect that this happened after a critical update, which the second system went through later.

Recently, I downloaded from the Lenovo website the newer power management software on both computers, and it did not help.

Then I noticed the Battery recall so downloaded the "Lenovo Battery Utility 2015" to see if my system was afffected by the problem.  When I run the utility, I get the mssage "No Battery Detect."  So it would appear that there may be an issue with the software detecting the batter.

Since I can't know the state of the battery (it appears to not want to recharge until it's empty, I gues because it thinks it's 100% charged), I cannot count on this computer when it's not plugged in.

Now I am in a bind.  I bought two comptures so that I would have one as a backup, am leaving for a business trip in a week where I need to give a talk at a conference, so need to approach the podium with the system unplugged, and I have no working computer that I can count on.

I would buy a battery with expedited shipping if I thought this would work, but I beleive it may be an issue with the OS.  What should I do?  I have two top-of-the-line systems (500GB SSD, 16GB ram) for whcih I paid a pretty penny, and now I might have to make a quick laptop purchase for this important trip.  Not the stress I need at this tiem.

Is there a untility that I can run to isolate the problem?

Help!!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors