Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpnwinterbottom
Paper Tape
Views: 1,013
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad Z500 Blue Screen

I've always had blue screens periodically with this laptop - had it just over a year now - but they never really bothered me. Until this morning when I woke up and tried to turn it on, after a lengthy loadup screen with the lenovo logo it went straight to a blue screen. As soon as the screen came up the laptop shut off, not giving me time to see what the error code is. When it restarts it tries to boot up system repair then goes to a black screen for ~10 minutes before blue screening and promptly restarting again. This time the restart is like the first time, straight to blue screen, then the repair to blue screen again. It just repeats this process over and over. I'm running windows 8 (not 8.1) and F8ing on the startup screen doesn't work, any help please?
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 979
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad Z500 Blue Screen

@cpnwinterbottom wrote:
I've always had blue screens periodically with this laptop - had it just over a year now - but they never really bothered me. Until this morning when I woke up and tried to turn it on, after a lengthy loadup screen with the lenovo logo it went straight to a blue screen. As soon as the screen came up the laptop shut off, not giving me time to see what the error code is. When it restarts it tries to boot up system repair then goes to a black screen for ~10 minutes before blue screening and promptly restarting again. This time the restart is like the first time, straight to blue screen, then the repair to blue screen again. It just repeats this process over and over. I'm running windows 8 (not 8.1) and F8ing on the startup screen doesn't work, any help please?

Shut down the power to your unit. Press the NOVO button. In the menu select Bios Setup. Once there wait for a few minutes and see if there are no blue screen. If there are none, reset everything to default, and save but do not exit. Change PXE boot to Lan to disable. Save and Exit.

cpnwinterbottom
Paper Tape
Views: 976
Message 3 of 6

Reset everything to default, saved, disabled pxe boot to lan then saved and exited; no change, still the exact same problem.
Highlighted
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 971
Message 4 of 6

@cpnwinterbottom wrote:
Reset everything to default, saved, disabled pxe boot to lan then saved and exited; no change, still the exact same problem.

Did you have  a BSOD during the "Once there wait for a few minutes ..." portion while in the bios?

cpnwinterbottom
Paper Tape
Views: 970
Message 5 of 6

No, though to be fair I only waited vaguely two minutes. I just took a video of the blue screen since it flashes too quick for me to read the small writing. The image is too blurry to make out all of the message but the end of it says something about "uncountable/unmountable boot volume" I think.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 964
Message 6 of 6

@cpnwinterbottom wrote:
No, though to be fair I only waited vaguely two minutes. I just took a video of the blue screen since it flashes too quick for me to read the small writing. The image is too blurry to make out all of the message but the end of it says something about "uncountable/unmountable boot volume" I think.

The suggested step and its result tells you that your cpu and memory plus other related hardware are alright and the problem narrows down to your hdd and its boot operation.

Try downloading media creation tool (google it) and use it to download Win 8.1 installer. Burn it to a pendrive or dvd which ever you prefer. Boot through it and select Repair instead of Install. If the repair fails you should select other options like reset which will install a fresh copy of Windows without erasing your files.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors