Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UnluckyMike
Paper Tape
Views: 1,265
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad Z500 CD-DVD Rom Drive Not Found By Windows 7

I need help and or advice as to what or how I can get the device to work again.  It does not show in the Bios setup screen, and does not open when the button is presed on the rom drive tray.  i have tried to get Win7 to discover it with no success.

Please if anybody can help me I would be very grateful.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,240
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad Z500 CD-DVD Rom Drive Not Found By Windows 7

hi UnluckyMike,

Welcome to the Forums.

If the ODD is not detected in the BIOS then it's either failing or its connection to the motherboard is faulty (could be caused by the connector of the ODD or the motherboard's).

Have you considered reseating the ODD (see page 36 of the HMM).

More info:

Z500 Disassembly Guid(see FRU Videos)

If reseating the drive doesn't work then you may need to contact lenovo or bring the unit to a local computer repair center for service.

Alternatively, you can also get a USB Optical drive (like this item) if you won't be able to send the machine for service.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,228
Message 3 of 5

@UnluckyMike wrote:

I need help and or advice as to what or how I can get the device to work again.  It does not show in the Bios setup screen, and does not open when the button is presed on the rom drive tray.  i have tried to get Win7 to discover it with no success.

Please if anybody can help me I would be very grateful.

Since the DVD/CD Rom is not found in the bios, that could only mean that it's dead unless there is really physically no DVD/CD rom connected.

UnluckyMike
Paper Tape
Views: 1,220
Message 4 of 5

Many thanks to Your reply to My Forum Question.
I followed the on-line hardware manual instructions in how to remove the DVD rewriter.
I removed and re-seated the Drive but it still seems to not work, so i agree with Your diagnosis and that a new internal DVD rewriter will be needed.
The device in question is a H+L Storage (Hitachi)
Supermulti DVD Rewriter
Model: GU70N (ALOK717)
Please could You tell Me where I can get an New one, ( Does Lenovo Sell this Drive or an Compatible one ? )
If not then of course the external Drive will have to be the answer.
again many thanks for Your reply and Help

Mr E. M. Sallows

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,215
Message 5 of 5

Try Lenovo store if you can find one. Another source might be online electronic store like Ebay, Amazon, Newegg, etc. You are right instead of an internal dvd drive you can purchase an external usb dvd drive. They are cheap something like 10 bucks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors