Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 13 (1,005 Views)

Ideapad Z500 OS change possible?

I have an Ideapad Z500 running Windows 8.1 pro but get many problems such as "Reset your Pc not working "Insert Media Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery medial will provide these files". This is a frequent occurrence. I have tried reinstalling and repairing but the same problem arises. Microsoft's answer to this is: How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media but I can't do this as I don't have a PC running Windows 7. There is also the problem of so many unwanted adverts on Windows 8 that I get frustrated at times as othe time consuming problems arise.
A computer savvy friend suggests I change the OS to Linux 12.04, so I ask do you have experience of this and is the OS compatible with the Z500. Is it a simple uninstall Windows 8 and install Linux or are there complications?

Failing that do I downgrade to Windows 7 (at more cost) or can you recommend some other option. Windows 8 is totally spoiled because of all the intrusive adverts, especially on XBox.

Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 13 (1,003 Views)

Re: Ideapad Z500 OS change possible?

khamsripai wrote:

I have an Ideapad Z500 running Windows 8.1 pro but get many problems such as "Reset your Pc not working "Insert Media Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery medial will provide these files". This is a frequent occurrence. I have tried reinstalling and repairing but the same problem arises. Microsoft's answer to this is: How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media but I can't do this as I don't have a PC running Windows 7. There is also the problem of so many unwanted adverts on Windows 8 that I get frustrated at times as othe time consuming problems arise.
A computer savvy friend suggests I change the OS to Linux 12.04, so I ask do you have experience of this and is the OS compatible with the Z500. Is it a simple uninstall Windows 8 and install Linux or are there complications?

Failing that do I downgrade to Windows 7 (at more cost) or can you recommend some other option. Windows 8 is totally spoiled because of all the intrusive adverts, especially on XBox.

Why not let your computer savvy friend do what she/he has suggested?

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 13 (990 Views)

Because he doesn't know if Linux 12.04 is compatible with Z500; that's why I ask the question. Do you know?
Bit Torrent
Message 4 of 13 (986 Views)

khamsripai wrote:
Because he doesn't know if Linux 12.04 is compatible with Z500; that's why I ask the question. Do you know?

Try posting your query in the Linux forum.

Guru
Message 5 of 13 (979 Views)

Is Z500 a PC? If yes, then it can run Linux Smiley Happy

If you want to play games- stick to Windows. Also, there's no MS Office for Linux (there are other office suites though). If you want to try Linux without installing it you can boot it directly from CD.

If you want to try Linux, go for Ubuntu.

Remember that you can always dual-boot Windows and Linux or use a Virtual machine.

Feel free to ask me about general PC issues, Ideapads, and Thinkpads.
Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 13 (962 Views)

Where do you think this is?
Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 13 (962 Views)

Not a PC but a Notebook laptop. Have you seen the games on Windows 8? Riddled with unwanted adverts.
Guru
Message 8 of 13 (948 Views)

Mate, laptop=notebook, and both of them are PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

Games riddles with adverts? I don't know what kind of games you play, but I don't have any ads in games I play.

khamsripai wrote:
Where do you think this is?

What is that supposed to mean?

Feel free to ask me about general PC issues, Ideapads, and Thinkpads.
Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 13 (934 Views)

Apologies, I'm on Linux forum also - got mixed up.
Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 13 (933 Views)

Look at XBox on Windows 8 - it's all adverts.
Top kudoed Authors