Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adiflorescu
Paper Tape
Views: 966
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad Z500 melt - no solution from Lenovo Romania

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad Z500 on 10th of September. On October 5th, after about 3 hrs of operation I noticed that a hole appeared just under the LCD, on the left side of "Lenovo" mark. The plastic hot melted due to a very hot electronic component inside the case. I phoned Lenovo Romania, talk with a nice guy who asked me for model number, serial number and some photos. I sent all the informations on October 7th. After 1 week, the problem still on digging at Lenovo Romania. I also ask for a replacement from the vendor, the online store www.cel.ro but still no answer! Well, I am using this laptop for my business, I had some specific software and I really need the computer for my work. I cannot wait weeks or months for a "solutions" from some busy clerk... In my opinion, this kind of damage demands a quick replacement for my melted laptop (still very high temperature on that area!) and any serious reprezentative will immediatly try to solve this kind of matter. Since 386 I own various models of Thinkpads. Some from IBM, some from Lenovo (X61 Tablet, X61) and I was amazed by the durability and the ease of use and I purchase this IdeaPad based on my previous experience but, sincerely, if the service is so bad I will rethink my option and become a negative advertiser for this brand. Seems like the "waranty" is an empty word without any responsability from the Lenovo! I explore the option to "hunt" down Lenovo demanding some sort of satisfaction for disregarding a customer, at no cost. This because I am a Lawyer! Here are some pictures:  My melted Lenovo IdeaPad Z500.

Regards, Adrian.

LE:

I found similar issues here on the forum. Both for melting and for ineffective waranty replacement. I corroborate the second issue with the total lack of any email from the management on the company webpage. Only phones where someone answer and is, indeed very nice but offers no real solution, just promises.

I really take into accound to start a case both to Consumet Protection Agency and to the Court. I am just curious to see if my story here will determine some action "there".

adiflorescu
Paper Tape
Views: 943
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad Z500 melt - no solution from Lenovo Romania

I will post here al my trouble ith Romanian Support.

Today I phoned again at Lenovo Romania. Another guy veryfied the status of my request and said to me that they need the Warranty card of the computer. I check my Warranty card and, surprise! No serial number on that paper! So, I take a ride to the store and ask for another Warranty card, this time WITH the serial number. Checked.

The thing is that the "other guy" from Lenovo Romania told me that the "first" one ask me for a scan of the Warranty card. Checked twice on my inbox and nothing like that despite the whole correspondence.

Today I send a scan of the completed Warranty card.

adiflorescu
Paper Tape
Views: 899
Message 3 of 7

Thursday, I phoned to Lenovo Call Center and asked about the status of my complain. They said that "is escalating" and they also wait for answers from someone beyond...

In the mean time, I ordered and changed the main fan on my old and reliable Thinkpad X61.

Which doesn't melt!

Guru
Guru
Views: 889
Message 4 of 7

Lenovo laptops are of great quality. Don't let this one case cloud your judgement, this is a extraordinary case. Escalations can take a while don't worry, it's a lot of paperwork.

Jonas

Lenovo Insider
Microsoft MVP Windows Development

Twitter: @jonashendrickx

adiflorescu
Paper Tape
Views: 853
Message 5 of 7

Jonas, I do have Thinkpads and I agree that they or was over a lot of other producers.

Since the 386 I do have IBM and then Lenovo laptops.This was the main reason for me to buy another Lenovo.

In my opinion - I may be wrong - "quality" means "built and customer support".

So, I was expecting a quick support for my melted laptop.

You know, when I bought it, I spent around 15 minutes...

Why spent more than - let's assume a  5 days for replacing such an obvious defective unit?

This Z500 was to replace my office laptop which was a X61. The X61 has a noisy fan and, from my experience, in about 2 weeks was expected to cease.

Therefore, I move all my specific software for office management onto this Z500. This includes relicensing some software with a lot of explanation bla bla.

The melted laptop made me spend another time to order a new fan for my old X61, to install it personally because the last one on a X61 Tablet was a mess and to recover the software back to the old horse.

The waiting time costs me a lot of time and some extra money. No problem for the money but the time is killing me :-)

I didn't want to spent another 2K+ EUR on a Thinkpad. Maybe it was my mistake...

About the built quality I may be wrong but looks to me that is a general line to lower the standards, of course, this is a long term process.

As I searched and bought different spare parts for my laptops I saw the built quality going down. The T43 has the fan in absolute perfect shape. The X41 also, no problem. The first X61, the Tablet, has the fan replaced after 4 years with an original fan which ceased after 1 year. The second X61 has the fan changed after 3 years.

I know they are in Thinkpad line which is more tough and expensive than Ideapad but they do are Lenovo, no?

Anyway Jonas, i judge only the support.

Have a nice week,

Adrian

adiflorescu
Paper Tape
Views: 818
Message 6 of 7

Finally, Lenovo Romania call me today (after i call them, LOL) and told me that everything is OK and they have the DOA code.

So, I rapidly take the laptop in the original box with all the stuff it has to the store.
There, surprise... Another 2 hrs spent to convince the service guy to check the email for that DOA code which was sent at my request to their inbox.

The service guy relaxed and told me very candid that they do not have Ideapad Z500 in the store and there will be no more. Obsolete.
So, I have now a ASUS very similar in performance.

End of a (sad) "love story" with Lenovo.

adiflorescu
Paper Tape
Views: 816
Message 7 of 7

As a later edit: I will keep my old and reliable Thinkpad but I am not so sure that I will ever buy another new one.

Top Kudoed Authors