Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmmpa
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 1 of 12

Ideapad Z510 - Need to reinstall WIN10

I have tried to various recover methods at this point but nothing has worked.

Therefore I figured I'll just reinstall WIN10.

I downloaded the WIN10 64bit ISO.

When booting from this ISO it is looking for drivers.

I went to this link - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z5... to find related drivers. Not sure which of these I should even try ? They are all executables.

How can I use these downloadable drivers when installing a new WIN10 ?

JimFlorida
Paper Tape
Views: 182
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ideapad Z510 - Need to reinstall WIN10

I'm no expert & haven't been through a reinstall, though I have configured a bootable 1803 ISO waiting on a flash drive for my 32 GB Ideapad 100 if I need it. You haven't mentioned what version of Win 10 you are trying to install. Maybe if you install the same Win 10 or an earlier version, the drivers might be ready and waiting on your computer? If you're trying to install a later Win 10 like the current 1903, then I could see there could possibly be a driver update needed issue. Sorry, I'm passing through and can't reply further.
Bill115
802.11n
Views: 171
Message 3 of 12

When exactly during Windows setup process is it having difficulties finding drivers?  Beginning?  End?

What is the error message, if any?  (picture would be helpful)   

Are you connected to internet (eg. use ethernet) when running Windows setup?

Have you tried answering 'No' when it prompts whether to download latest updates?

Windows 10 v1507 seems to be last time Lenovo approved a version of Windows 10 for an Erazer Z510.  As suggested by JimFlorida, I think you may need to try and locate an earlier version of Windows 10 installation media prior to v1903 to resolve your issue.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht103535

z510 uses Haswell chipset.  It is strange win10 v1903 would have difficulty installing Win10 on your laptop.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

jmmpa
Paper Tape
Views: 153
Message 4 of 12

The message - in reference to missing drivers - is at the beginning.

Answered a few basic questions then it displays the message, that a driver for USB, CD or HDD is missing.

So nothing specific.

I was using the latest version, 1903 and have found 1809 which I will try.

Will continue to search for v1507.

Will let you know how it goes.

Appreciate the information !

Thanks

Jay

Highlighted
jmmpa
Paper Tape
Views: 152
Message 5 of 12

The version was the latest, 1903.

I am going to try 1809 and see if I can even find an earlier version.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions !

Jay

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 120
Message 6 of 12

The message you describe is for the disk controller.   Windows 10 installer cannot find your hard drive.    It appears Windows 10 installer may require the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.   This is very strange because I would have thought it would use the default Microsoft AHCI SATA controller driver contained within Windows 10, given the age of your computer.

The Lenovo website does list an old 12.5 driver for Windows 8 but this is a full installer EXE, and you require what is known as the 'F6 driver' which isn't listed on Lenovo's website.  

Intel's website has a tendency to remove the older drivers, and the later drivers are unlikely to work with your laptop.   

While I try and locate another safe source for v12.x Intel IRST F6 drivers, can you perhaps use the Novo button to go into F2 BIOS setup, and check a few things.

You haven't said why you are trying to reinstall Windows?

Given age of your laptop, is it possible the hard drive has failed, although error message would usually be pretty obvious if hard drive had failed/missing?

While inside the F2 BIOS setup:

Can you also check and see whether the hard drive is listed?

Can you look through the menus and see what 'SATA controller' mode the laptop is using?  (Sorry, I can't provide a screenshot or menu navigation).   It should be set to AHCI.  (I'd be surprised if there is a RAID option on your Z510 which could cause your missing driver error)

I've sent you a PM regarding F6 drivers.

jmmpa
Paper Tape
Views: 94
Message 7 of 12

I will pull that zipfile and see if that helps.

I downloaded Wins10 v1803 and had same issue, drivers missing. 

pic below shows the message.

IMG_3972.jpg

I am attempting to reinstall because every other path I went, failed. On 9/9 the laptop simly stopped reponding, when I powered it off/on nothing besides it was trying to recover then went to a menu. From there as i said, I tried various options to recover, all failed, at this point

opt'd to just start over with fresh install.

also attached pic that shows the hard disk while in bios/setup

jmmpa
Paper Tape
Views: 91
Message 8 of 12

Tried the drivers with Win10 v1803, see attached photo.

After selecting the Intel 8 Series, from the USB it says NO NEW DEVICE DRIVERS WERE FOUND

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 86
Message 9 of 12

Tnx for confirming hard drive is listed in BIOS.  Whether it actually works is another matter....

Don't forget to check the SATA controller mode setting is set to AHCI.

Only way to prove if it is faulty hard drive or motherboard fault, is to fit another hard drive or super fast 2.5" SSD, to eliminate original hard drive from the equation.

One other suggestion you could perhaps try to see if the old hard drive contents is 'accessible', is to download a live linux that runs from USB stick.    I'm not suggesting it is the 'best', but 'Ubuntu Bionic 64' from puppylinux dot com could be used.  I use Rufus for windows to burn the iso file to spare USB stick.

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 77
Message 10 of 12

I don't own any Intel series 8 based motherboard (Haswell), but I thought I'd try the same F6 drivers I sent  you on a series 7 Ivy Bridge desktop motherboard which I know can use the Intel RST 12.9 driver when installed using the EXE file.

I tried both Win 10 v1903 and v1803. Win10 install media detected the hard drive.  I chose 'Custom installation', it listed the partitions on my hard drive so the installer was clearly happy it didn't require any extra driver. 

Next I clicked on 'Load Driver',  then pointed to the folder where the RST 12.9 F6 driver files were previously extracted from zip and saved on a USB pen drive.

In both cases, I didn't get as far as you where your Win10 installer detected series 8 SATA controller.  It said 'no signed drivers' were available.  No mention of Intel series 7 controller in any dialogue box.   ie. F6 drivers clearly not going to work on my series 7 motherboard.

As mentioned previously, F6 drivers are not normally required for newer Intel motherboard during initial windows 10 installation steps.

Something is clearly not right with your Z510 and  I'm out of ideas for you to try next, other that swapping the hard drive.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors