Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spudchick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 387
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad Z570-1024 - wifi driver problems after HDD replacement

This laptop is four years old now and the hard drive is beginning to deteriorate.  It upgraded to Windows 10 without any real problems last year even though according to this page my processor (Sandy Bridge) is not supported/tested for Win10. 

I feel that I burned a set of recovery discs when I got it but can't find any now.   

This weekend, I swapped out the hard drive to a different (better but smaller) new drive and installed Windows 10 from a DVD I burned using Microsoft's installation tool. It went pretty well overall but like others I couldn't get the wifi to work.  The Intel Centrino wirelessN adapter was correctly detected and installed but it kept insisting that the adapter was switched off, even though it clearly wasn't.  I couldn't find a driver for win10 but tried downloading the intel wifi driver from this page:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z570?...

using the Win8 64-bit driver.  That didn't help either, and attempting to let Win10 fix itself by running updates on a wired connection didn't help either.  

I put the old drive back in which at first reported the wifi adapter being turned off, and again this did not respond to the front switch being toggled, but Fn+F5 opened up Lenovo's Wireless Device Settings, which seemed to know how to turn the adapter on and off.  It appears there's some kind of issue with either the motherboard or the bios (I couldn't find anything about a bios update for this model) but for whatever reason, Lenovo's management software (not just the drivers) seem to be necessary to get this working again. 

I have to try again soon because the drive needs to be replaced and other than the wifi not working I could tell Windows was behaving much better with the new drive.  Does anyone know how I can get the Lenovo software on a clean install of Windows 10 on a new drive?

All suggestions welcome!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 354
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad Z570-1024 - wifi driver problems after HDD replacement

@spudchick wrote:

This laptop is four years old now and the hard drive is beginning to deteriorate.  It upgraded to Windows 10 without any real problems last year even though according to this page my processor (Sandy Bridge) is not supported/tested for Win10. 

I feel that I burned a set of recovery discs when I got it but can't find any now.   

This weekend, I swapped out the hard drive to a different (better but smaller) new drive and installed Windows 10 from a DVD I burned using Microsoft's installation tool. It went pretty well overall but like others I couldn't get the wifi to work.  The Intel Centrino wirelessN adapter was correctly detected and installed but it kept insisting that the adapter was switched off, even though it clearly wasn't.  I couldn't find a driver for win10 but tried downloading the intel wifi driver from this page:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z570?...

using the Win8 64-bit driver.  That didn't help either, and attempting to let Win10 fix itself by running updates on a wired connection didn't help either.  

I put the old drive back in which at first reported the wifi adapter being turned off, and again this did not respond to the front switch being toggled, but Fn+F5 opened up Lenovo's Wireless Device Settings, which seemed to know how to turn the adapter on and off.  It appears there's some kind of issue with either the motherboard or the bios (I couldn't find anything about a bios update for this model) but for whatever reason, Lenovo's management software (not just the drivers) seem to be necessary to get this working again. 

I have to try again soon because the drive needs to be replaced and other than the wifi not working I could tell Windows was behaving much better with the new drive.  Does anyone know how I can get the Lenovo software on a clean install of Windows 10 on a new drive?

All suggestions welcome!

Page 85 hardware maintainance manual shows that there is a switch (11) at the front. Check if your unit has it. If yes, try to change the position and check.

spudchick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 348
Message 3 of 4

Yes, I know about the switch and toggled it multiple times to try and get the new installation to recognize that it was on. The Intel driver at the download link I gave did have a software option for turning the adapter on and off but it didn't work. Only the Lenovo software (which comes up when you hit Fn+F5, they key with the wireless symbol) actually turns it on or off.

In all the time I've had this, I've never had to fool with that switch or the software utility until now. It's something I've seen mentioned as a problem for others with this specific model, and it seems like Lenovo had to write something to compensate for a problem or missing link in the hardware configuration. So, I'm thinking the only way I'll be able to get it to work is by getting the Lenovo suite onto the machine.
spudchick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 322
Message 4 of 4

Since the performance is continuing to deteriorate I've ordered a USB wifi adapter to use instead of the built in wifi so I can go ahead with replacing the drive, though I am now concerned about other problems that may crop up with out lenovo's specific management apps (I've seen some issues with battery management). Will report on results.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors