Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlube
Paper Tape
Views: 266
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad Z580 - External monitor stopped working

I've been running this Z580 for a year or so, and updated to Windows 10 a couple of months ago. Both the laptop display and an external monitor (HPw1907 vga) have been working fine. The other day, the external monitor just stopped working.  

I check the device manager and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 display adapter is disabled, due to a Code 43. I have tried rolling back to an earlier restore point, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several versions of the Intel graphics adapter, up through the current compatible one. The most recent display adapter driver from Intel is apparently not hardware compatible with this adapter.

The funny thing, is that the driver wants to work! On booting, while the black and white Lenovo splash screen is displayed, with the little circular Windows logo circling around, I can move the cursor back and forth between monitors. As soon as the screen turns blue (I assume with Windows drivers loading) the external monitor blanks out and I'm back to one screen. 

Based on that behavior, I'm wondering if it's not a display driver that is specfically the problem, since I've loaded up the latest drivers several times, but if maybe a recent Windows update has sneaked in a driver or component for something else that is causing the Intel driver to crash. Any thoughts? 

Back in earlier versions of Windows, you could have the system load one component at a time during boot, so you could check for incompatibilities. So, if the display crashes, I could experiement with disabling other services to see what would happen. Anybody know how to boot up with this feature enabled in W10?

Thanks!

philetus
Token Ring
Views: 261
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad Z580 - External monitor stopped working

Right click on it and uninstall.
Reboot .
Worth a try
mlube
Paper Tape
Views: 218
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad Z580 - External monitor stopped working

Yeah. Done that about a dozen times, installing several different versions of the driver as experiments. I think that option has been fully explored.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors