Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beats_1989
Not applicable
Views: 4,818
Message 1 of 8

Ideapad Z580 Upgrade to WIndows 8.1

Hi everyone,

I bought Ideapad Z580 in November 2012 installed with windows 7. Leagally upgraded to windows 8 under windows 8 upgrade programme. Now i am very desperate to upgrade further to windows 8.1, however i came across tons of problems faced by Z580 users regarding power mangement, display issues, wifi conncetivity and other tons of incompatability. I am requesting some system expert to tell me that if i proceed with the upgrade what could be the possible consequences? And wether it is still recommended to proceed with the upgrade? 

Also i came across one forum wherein it was written that upgrading from windows 7 has terminated the lenovo warranty. I am holding 3 years extended warranty. Can installing new OS can result in termination of hardware warranty? Sounds strange.

Solid_Cruver
Not applicable
Views: 4,796
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ideapad Z580 Upgrade to WIndows 8.1

Hi beats_1989,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

Windows 8.1 has just been officially released and just like any other Operating System Patch, updates and fixes will sure to come. Most specially with the drivers, Im pretty sure sable drivers will be created for Windows 8,1 Support.

If I'm in your situation I'll Wait a little bit more until all issues has been resolved by community members and Lenovo.

You may encounter Driver and Software Compatibility Issues. Where in you might need to search in and out of Lenovo for Driver updates and do it manually.

Upgrading the Windows OS will not Void your Hardware Warranty, But their support for Preloaded Windows and Lenovo Software components may not be supported over the phone.

Still Any proven Hardware Defect or Malfunction will be covered by Lenovo through the coverage of your warranty, and there may be times that they will have to reload the Original OS/Software incase the Software / OS upgrade causes some hardware not to function properly. But surely you will be notified prior to making any changes on your Upgraded OS or Software.

Regards

Thanks,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

beats_1989
Not applicable
Views: 4,730
Message 3 of 8

Lenovo Z580 - Power management driver Windows 8.1 , Heating issues, upgrade to windows 8.1

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade to windows 8.1 from windows 8 currently installed on my Lenovo Z 580. I have couple of questions. Help will be appreciated

1) Unable to find any power mangement drivers on lenovo driver support page. In absence of that, few of the forums said that power had been fluctuating consistently resulting into battery drain and heating issues unilke windows 8.

2) Wether i can upgrade to windows 8.1 from iso file rather than from windows store. I came across few tips on internet for this - http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57608376-285/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-..., but aint sure that wether this will lead to proper installation. Becuase originally those methods are for upgrading computer from windows 8.1 preview, though by few tricks it allows to download iso file and then upgrade to windows 8.1

Thanks

pisarz1958
Not applicable
Views: 4,667
Message 4 of 8

Re: Lenovo Z580 - Power management driver Windows 8.1 , Heating issues, upgrade to windows 8.1

I made this mistake and upgraded my Z580 to 8.1.

http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/windows8-1/upgrade/ideapad/index_en.html

As you can see, even lenovo is not recommending the upgrade. Too bad they haven't prepared for this.

Solid_Cruver
Not applicable
Views: 4,613
Message 5 of 8

Re: Lenovo Z580 - Power management driver Windows 8.1 , Heating issues, upgrade to windows 8.1

Hi beats_1989,

There is a driver already provided by Lenovo for Power Management running on Windows 8.1

Capture.JPG

Based on the link you provided

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57608376-285/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-...

This will let you extract the file that is automatically being triggered by the update from the MS Store.

But during the installation it might be the same procedure and process.

I haven't tried this yet but I think you can do it by this method.

Regards

Solid Cruver

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

pisarz1958
Not applicable
Views: 4,590
Message 6 of 8

Yup, it just appeared with release date "16 Oct 2013". Interesting, because just few days ago there was no Energy Management for 8.1 in Z580 drivers section. lol

It solves overheating, but I must say, I got better battery life on 8 anyway...
beats_1989
Not applicable
Views: 4,529
Message 7 of 8

Update Today finally i upgraded to windows 8.1 my z580.. Nd guess wat... Evrythng went great.. No incompatability issues cropped up.. All drivers are working as it is, all installed apps, files and windows store apps are intact.. One more thing to notice is dat i had'nt intsalled ny of the windows 8.1 drivers yet... Nd m nt evn gonna install dem, coz my current windows 8 drivers are all working fine.. The update process was very easy like any other normal update.. My system is intact.. Wifi, bluetooth, power magement, digital dolby, battery life, veriface .. Evrythng is work great like before.. I dunno y other ppl came across so many problems with wifi and powr mangement... One thing to note is that while installation of windows 8.1, my wifi is on.. May be during that phase all the required filles where collected, to keep my system running as before.. :-)
pisarz1958
Not applicable
Views: 4,520
Message 8 of 8

Upgrade tends to break stuff, it's how the Windows update mechanism is designed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors