Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twamatha
What's DOS?
Views: 4,546
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad Z580 how to turn off touchpad gestures

I bought an ideapad Z580 towards the end of last year and have had awful trouble with the gestures with the touchpad. Swiping from the left side of the trackpad to the right switches back to something you were doing before is my main issue as it crashes my games continually when I accidentally catch it. I have been to control panel>mouse>settings>synaptics settings stuff and I can't find a 'turn off gestures' button... I have also posted a thread in the Microsoft Forum as its a main Windows 8 feature but they only suggest coming here for an answer. I just want my trackpad to act like a normal trackpad without the fanciness. Any help will be appreciated.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,512
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad Z580 how to turn off touchpad gestures

hi Twamatha,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Try one of the following options:

Option 1:

Install Synaptics v16.2.21 driver from this thread and see if you can disable Edge Swipes under Control Panel > Device Settings

Option 2:

Disable the Hot Corners (Charms Bar, Start Screen Thumbnail, App Switch List)

Let me know your findings,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Twamatha
What's DOS?
Views: 4,494
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the welcome and the help.

I've already downloaded the lastest driver for Synaptics and unfortunately it did not help... 

I've looked at the 2nd option and it seems as though it should work, so I'll give it a go and will report back with whether it worked.

Thank you again for your help,

Twamatha =]

Twamatha
What's DOS?
Views: 4,486
Message 4 of 6

It does what it says and disables things popping out from the side of the screen... which is great if thats what you didn't like... unfortunately, my issue is with the mouse itself as opposed to moving the mouse to corners of the screen...

When placing a finger on the touchpad itself and moving from the left edge of the touchpad towards the center of the touchpad, it flicks back to the last progam/thing you were on/looking at... which I can see as handy if you need to flick back and forth between things... but it is not useful for me... this is what I want to disable, nothing else...

Thankyou for your help anyway neokenchi.

I am hoping I have been more clear on what I want to disable in this post then I was in the original one.

Twamatha

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,473
Message 5 of 6

hi Twamatha,

Try to disable these settings:

1. Press WinKey+I > Change PC Settings > General  > App Switching and turn off:

- Allow switching between recent apps

- When I swipe from the left edge, switch directly to my most recent app

Spoiler
swipe_settings.jpg

2. Disable the Touchpad Gestures using a registry trick - See Modify or disable Windows 8 swipe gestures on touchpad / laptop 

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Twamatha
What's DOS?
Views: 4,461
Message 6 of 6

Thank you very much neokenchi, this has solved the problem once and for all... maybe they should make that easier to get to...

Thank you again,

Twamatha 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors