Options

10 Posts

09-04-2012

UK

8 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 1 of 3

Ideapad Z580 only 10 months old - Battery failure 3 months ago and now this....

2013-06-10, 7:19 AM

I purchased said unit Sept. last year and within a few months the battery started discharging for no reason I could see. Battery returned to Lenovo, tested and a new battery sent out (old one apparently kaput). I thought the problem was solved until a few days ago when...

Battery starts discharging again for no reason I can see. Laptop eventually went into hibernation. Unplugged charger, plugged back in, switched on then powered up the laptop and the battery started charging. This sequence of events was repeated 3 times in 1 week, until yesterday when powering up the laptop failed.

Took the battery out and tried laptop on charger only. Nothing. Put battery back in and tried to power up - then noticed battery indicator gave 3 orange flashes 1 second apart before stopping. Did the battery discharge thing (pressing in the power button etc.). Still nothing. The unit seems to have failed completely.

Can someone tell my what I might be dealing with here - a failed motherboard?

Yet again I'm going to have to send this laptop back for repair, and it's been nothing short of a nightmare because I rely on it to do work. I've never experienced something like this before with a purchased laptop and I suspect the original battery problem was caused by a fault inside the laptop.

As the machine is still within warranty can I request a new machine or a full refund because I simply don't want to use something which may be inherently unstable?

Looking at the views posts get on this forum I expect the problem will have been resolved before anyone responds. :catmad:

Options

110 Posts

05-28-2013

TP Egypt

117 Signins

1162 Page Views

• Views: 1162
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad Z580 only 10 months old - Battery failure 3 months ago and now this....

2013-06-17, 8:02 AM

Hi Stephenbtc,

Thanks for posting and Welcome to Lenovo Community,

Would you please try to below steps

1-      Switch off the machine, remove the battery and keep the charger plugged in and press and hold the power button for 15 sec.

2-      Remove the battery and the charger and press and hold the power button for 20 sec.

Plug them back in and check if problem still exist or not if yes please go with the rest of steps

3-      Remove the energy management from control panel and install the below

Windows 8 : Energy Management

Windows 7 : Energy Management

Please let me know if you still facing the same problem

Hope the information helps

Regards,

Ayman

Options

10 Posts

09-04-2012

UK

8 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad Z580 only 10 months old - Battery failure 3 months ago and now this....

2013-06-17, 8:12 AM

Seayman - thanks - I've already tried all of this before. No luck.

This isn't an energy management problem but a motherboard/charging circuit problem. I've explained the situation to Lenovo Support and the laptop is now (hopefully) being repaired with the note "probable hardware failure".

I've only had this laptop 8 months and there have been 2 hardware failures, this being the 2nd.

Why on earth is Lenovo adding energy management software which does exactly the same thing as Windows power management? There's no need for it at all unless you know of a reason?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms