Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeH
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,418
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad Z580 touchpad issue

Hey guys!

I´ve encountered another issue with my laptop. Its my touchpad. After starting a system it reacts only as a pointing device without any scrolling, rolling etc. I can get through this only when I adjust some settings in Synaptics preferences located in control panel/mouse. DO you have any ideas how can I make it done without opening the control panel after every single startup ? 

Ive downloaded the latest synaptics driver but was unable to open it after an error message appeared saying "Its not a valid Win32 application"

Thank you for your ideas,

George

countrywise
Broadband 3G
Views: 8,410
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad Z580 touchpad issue

@GeorgeH wrote:

Hey guys!

I´ve encountered another issue with my laptop. Its my touchpad. After starting a system it reacts only as a pointing device without any scrolling, rolling etc. I can get through this only when I adjust some settings in Synaptics preferences located in control panel/mouse. DO you have any ideas how can I make it done without opening the control panel after every single startup ? 

Ive downloaded the latest synaptics driver but was unable to open it after an error message appeared saying "Its not a valid Win32 application"

Thank you for your ideas,

George

Hi,

after adjusting  the Synaptics settings

did you make sure to  Apply and  Save ?

Re the driver download,you appear to have downloaded the wrong one perhaps?

Make sure it's  for the same OS and BİT as your system.

Did you download it from Synaptics?

İf so you may try the one from the Lenovo site

for your model.

Or vice versa.

countrywise
Broadband 3G
Views: 8,406
Message 3 of 7

Also do have a look here,

may be helpful

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/consumer-tips

GeorgeH
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,394
Message 4 of 7

Ok, Ive changed my touchpad driver for the one which is available here on support site an it seems to be working properly! I have no idea why is that so because I had the same version before, but its working so I accept it as a solution Smiley Happy Anyway, thank you alot! 

countrywise
Broadband 3G
Views: 8,386
Message 5 of 7

@GeorgeH wrote:

Ok, Ive changed my touchpad driver for the one which is available here on support site an it seems to be working properly! I have no idea why is that so because I had the same version before, but its working so I accept it as a solution Smiley Happy Anyway, thank you alot! 

You're very welcome.

Glad it got fixed.

Sometimes things that don't work the first time,

do work  when you try it again.

Something to keep in mind.

BWC
What's DOS?
Views: 6,583
Message 6 of 7

Greetings all,

My wife bought this laptop yesterday Z580.  She has been have issues with her touchpad as well.

I am a systems engineer for a value added reseller of Dell and Lenovo products.  Both are quality manufacturers.  I started as a phone support guy, moved up to a Dekstop support person, then to engineering.  I am passionate about problem solving weird issues.

So I have spen the last 2 days troubleshooting this issue.  Here are the symptoms and the the cause of what has been happening on my Wifes Z580.

Symptoms:

Touchpad works but seems to freeze for no (seemingly) reason.

Right clicks seem to start the issues with touchpad becoming unresponsive for a short time

Software Troubleshooting:

Reinstall touchpad drivers from Lenovo Driver Downloads page

-Behavior was the same

Reinstalled drivers from the Synaptics web site

-behavior was the same

Removed Synaptics drivers and used windows drivers

-behavior was the same

Booted into Windows PE environment (using the Windows mouse driver)

-behavior was the same

Made a backup of the Original system. Installed windows 7 all drivers and all MS service packs/updates

-behavior was the same

OK...so I am thinking this may not be a software issue.  On to hardware troubleshooting.

Hardware Troubleshooting

Noticed that the touchpad is able to move about 1-1.5 millimeters to the right or left.

I moved the touchpad all the way to the left.  The touchpad responds perfectly

When I move  the touchpad all the way to the right, and the touchpad becomes iffy and can even stop working.

I also noticed that the Synaptics tray icon disappeared alltogether.  This means that the touchpad is no longer being seen by windows and would cause the driver loading issues that folks have been experiencing. In fact, when I reproduce this issue, I can go to the mouse options in the control panel and get  a message that the mouse driver is no longer installed (paraphrased).   Device manager shows the touchpad is splatted.

If I move the mouse pad back to the left, the tray icon shows back up and the touchpad works just fine again. 

This looks to be a hardware issue on my system.  

Where do I go from here?

-BWC

lucid
Punch Card
Views: 6,039
Message 7 of 7

I agree and am also a computer technician. I have been working on a Z580 that came with win 8 preinstalled. Major problems with the touchpad, made worse in that it kept triggering the charm menu and going into metro. All software drivers whether MS, from lenovo or synaptics have the same issues. The cursor will jump to the top right of the screen and you can only scroll so far before it jumps back. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to be annoying. Also the right click button stops functioning altogether.

The system has been downgraded to Windows 7 now and the problems persist, whatever driver is installed.

There is a high probability that there is a hardware issue going on here. You only have to google and look at all those having these issues.

Do lenovo have a newer replacement touchpad that has resolved these issues?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors