Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
will_hamblin
What's DOS?
Views: 3,369
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad Z580 - touchpad / keyboard issues

I am having real issues with my Lenovo Z580 laptop touchpad. The touchpad functions normally, but freezes unexpectedly. I have to click ALT + Tab and change the window for it to work again. I have removed and re-installed the drivers and this has had no impact. 

It is really frustrating as it is becoming more and more regular and also the keyboard seems to be having minor issues too.

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated

Thanks,

Will

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,357
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad Z580 - touchpad / keyboard issues

hi Will,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Just to check

Curious, if you don't re-install the Touchpad driver from the lenovo website and let Windows use a generic driver, are you still getting freezing issues while using the Touchpad?

If you have the Synaptics touchpad and it works fine with the generic driver then the problem is likey with the driver. Try to install this driver directly from the Synaptics website:

Windows 8/7/XP/Vista 64/32-bit Edition v17.0.19

118.1 MB zip

If the freezing issue still occur even with a generic touchpad driver then it's likely that the Touchpad is showing signs of imminent failure. In this case, I recommend you contact lenovo and report your findings.

As for the keyboard, are some of the keys not working?

- If some of the keyboard keys are intermittently working then this is likely a keyboard failure and I recommend you report this also when you contact lenovo.

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

will_hamblin
What's DOS?
Views: 3,331
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your reply

Well I removed the drivers from device manager and the remove programs in control panel and tried to install from the synaptics website as suggested. When i restarted the laptop the touchpad still functions without me installing the new driver... however when I did install the synaptics driver it was more responsive. However the problem has not gone away, Even whilst writing this reply my screen is jumping around.. kind of like a key on the keyboard is jammed. (as far as i can tell this is not the case)

When I'm using the touchpad and the cursor freezes... changing windows (ALT + Tab) frees it up again. Its realy weird and I can barely use my laptop because of it right now.

I have been unable to download generic drivers via windows.. it did not automatically do this when I restarted the laptop after uninstalling the drivers... can you do it manually?

Should the touchpad have stopped working when the drivers for the touchpad were uninstalled? As it was still working I was wandering if I had not uninstalled every driver?

Thanks

Will

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,311
Message 4 of 6

hi WIll,

Uninstalling the Touchpad driver (thru Device Manager and in the Control Panel) removes the manufacturer's driver (Synaptics) and after the reboot, Windows automatically installs a generic touchpad driver (this driver is built-in to Windows that allows you to use the basic functionality of the device without the added features) -- this explains why you're still able to use the Touchpad without re-installing the Synaptics driver.

As for the erratic touchpad movement, that's probably due to the sensitivity settings of the Touchpad (as you type, your palm might be hitting the Touchpad area causing the mouse to move). To fix this, try adjusting the mouse sensitivity under Control Panel (Icon Views) > Mouse (properties) > Device Settings > Pointing > Sensitivity

- Sample image

As for the freezing issue, are you still getting this issue after uninstalling the Synaptics driver (with WIndows using the generic Touchpad driver0 ? 

In addition, if you're running Windows 8 on the Z580, a similar issue was discussed in this microsoft article and you may want to check it out for more info.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

will_hamblin
What's DOS?
Views: 3,283
Message 5 of 6

I'm afraid none of these suggestions have helped my issues.

I think it may be a hardware failure. what steps do i take to diagnose which part I need?

Thanks,

Will

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,267
Message 6 of 6

It could be that your keyboard is sending random inputs disabling your mouse. Go into the mouse settings and disable the feature that disables mouse when typing. If that fixes your issue, your keyboard probably has a stuck key.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors