Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 12 (31,417 Views)

Ideapad Z580 - turn off Secure Boot State, or change to legacy bios and turn off UEFI?

I purchased a IdeaPad Z580 laptop, with Windows 8.  The current BIOS mode is UEFI, with Secure Boot State = On.  I am trying to setup a dual boot with Linux Ubuntu or Mint?  Is this possible?  Thank you.

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 12 (31,161 Views)

Re: Ideapad Z580 - turn off Secure Boot State, or change to legacy bios and turn off UEFI?

Yes, I have the same question. Can someone help?

Many Thanks in advance.

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 12 (31,130 Views)

Re: Ideapad Z580 - turn off Secure Boot State, or change to legacy bios and turn off UEFI?

I too have the same situation, question, and difficulties. Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 12 (31,049 Views)

I am on the same boat.  Lenovo, how can we dual boot to Linux?

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 12 (30,950 Views)

how can we dual boot windows 8 and linux on ideapad z580

Please can someone help us setup dual booting windows 8 and linux mint or ubuntu ?

Hope ther is someone out there who can help.

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 12 (30,916 Views)

Re: how can we dual boot windows 8 and linux on ideapad z580

[ Edited ]

You may try to install last linuxmint 14.1. If boot fails (for me it was straight boot to windows) you may try to use this. All you do on your own risk. Backup data first. Smiley Happy Or you can visit linuxmint's forum first.

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 12 (30,903 Views)

I have a Z500 but I'm trying (and failing!) at the same.

I tried all of the following with no acceptale result:

- Standard install from CD. After the installation completed I could not get Win 8 to boot anymore. Used boot-repair and I still had could not get Win 8 to boot UNLESS I accessed the BIOS and altered the boot order, in order to have Win 8 on top of the list. This way I culd access win 8 but not Ubuntu, had to do alter the boot order again... 

- I've followed this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
I could not get the Live CD to boot. Tried the same with Live USB, no luck.

- I've also tried this guide: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/11/05/dual-boot-windows-8-and-ubuntu-12-10-on-uefi-hardware/

No luck either, I get the Win 8 boot loader but I get an error message whenever I try to launch ubuntu.

Paper Tape
Message 8 of 12 (30,846 Views)

Hi all, i saw this and thought i would comment:

First of all boot into the BIOS (Hold down f12 at boot, then press tab, and select bios)

next goto the security TAB

Here you will see the secure boot option enabled but greyed out.

Select "administrative password" input a password, you are now able to disable secure boot!

I am currently installing windows 7 which was unable to load before this Smiley Happy

Thanks

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 12 (30,546 Views)

Thank you for that, I've wasted 2 days onand off trying towork that out!
Will my win 7 usb now boot. I'll let you know !
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 12 (30,475 Views)

Indeed, many thanks. I found this post while researching how to get past my version of the "black screen on booting Linux Mint install USB (still cannot get the install DVD to boot at all). The black screen problem went away when I changed the BIOS from "UEFI only" to "UEFI/Legacy OS" (even though Boot priority is still "UEFI first then Legacy OS": I set the boot device order so the USB comes up first).

So, I suspect we need to do both: set the Legacy OS support, and turn off Secure Boot. Reading the other posts, it looks like lots of folks followed the UEFI cookbooks which likely made them turn on the Legacy OS support already. I thought I would just point out that for me at least on my G580 that also fixed the black screen problem in case anyone tinkering with turning it off then hits it.

Top kudoed Authors