Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg950
Paper Tape
Views: 1,380
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad Z585 stuck in Bios boot menu - Can't exit the Bios

I took out my 1TB 5400RPM Harddrive that came with the Ideapad Z585 and replaced it with a faster 500GB 7200RPM Harddrive.  I then changed the boot sequence in the Bios to start from the CD/DVD drive and installed windows 8 from Windows disks. I also installed the necessary drivers.  I made the new drive have only two partitions and no recovery partition.

After installing windows the laptop was working great until I pressed F2 and went back into the Bios.  While in the Bios I changed the boot sequence back the way it was to boot from Harddrive first.  I also removed my password. Now everytime I try to save and exit the Bios the screen goes black, then goes right back into the bios.

I removed the 500GB Harddrive and went back to the original 1TB harddrive that came with it.  Now the Bios works fine.  How do I make it so the bios works with the new drive?

Thanks for the help

Greg

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,364
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad Z585 stuck in Bios boot menu - Can't exit the Bios

When windows 8 was installed was it in uefi mode and the disk formatted as a gpt disk? I'm referring to the 500 Gb 7200 rpm hdd.

Aditional question:

Is the Windows 8 that you use 64-bit?

Greg950
Paper Tape
Views: 1,349
Message 3 of 4

Yes, it was in uefi mode.  I actually took the drive out of my HP Laptop installed in my Lenovo and formated the drive thru the Dos command.  I then installed Windows 8.  After installing Windows 8 I then used Easeus Partition software and deleted some of the partitions which might have caused the problem.

Not sure what you mean by formatted as a gpt disk?

Greg

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,328
Message 4 of 4

@Greg950 wrote:

Yes, it was in uefi mode.  I actually took the drive out of my HP Laptop installed in my Lenovo and formated the drive thru the Dos command.  I then installed Windows 8.  After installing Windows 8 I then used Easeus Partition software and deleted some of the partitions which might have caused the problem.

Not sure what you mean by formatted as a gpt disk?

Greg

What I mean is the partition style. If you right click the drive in disk management and select properties you should see something like in the picture.

gpt disk determination.JPG

Also when you install Windows 8/8.1 you just erase whatever partition is presented when ask where to install the os (clean install procedure). The program will do the initialization thereafter. If not, you can use diskpart but you have to specify the partition style plus other parameters.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors