Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Serial Port
0 Kudos

Ideapad y460p : Naturally runs hot?

Using realtemp and gputemp, i noticed my CPU temp was about 66 degrees idle and 62 for the gpu.

Under heavy load, it goes up to 95 degrees cpu and 90-95 for gpu.

I bought a coolermaster x3 cooling pad, and while it was able to reduce the idle temp by about 5-10 degrees, the load temps were almost as high...92-94 degrees for cpu and 90 for gpu.

Does this model just run hot? I don't think these temps are safe for the processor or GPU...

Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Ideapad y460p : Naturally runs hot?

Hi Question,

Have you cleaned the fan and heat-sink-fins thoroughly? Please read this 'overheating' thread...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Z460-There-were-frequent-problems/m-p/719295#...

Zehn

Serial Port
0 Kudos

Can you recommend other things to use to clean out the fan blades and heatsink?

For example, can i use a damp cloth to clean the fan blades?

And im not sure what i can use to clean the heatsink without causing static damage....

Serial Port
0 Kudos

bump

Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Hi "Question". I'm having very similar issues with my z570. From what I hear, a little canned air should do the trick for blasting out the vents. Or a damp cloth with a little bit of rubbing alcohol.

If I can be a bit selfish: how long has your computer been running at those temps under load? Mine runs at almost identical temps for idle and load as well, and I just unpacked the sucker two weeks ago, so if you've been running hot for a year or something without any issues, it might set my mind at ease a bit.

Serial Port
0 Kudos

Yea, the laptop is 1.5 years old but i didn't check the temps at all till recently.

Canned air is very expensive here for some reason...at least $15 a can. And i don't think damp cloth would work well on the heatsink since its attached to the processor...

What about the GPU fan/heatsink? The instructions in the manual seem to be for the processor only...or are they in the same compartment?
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

I think just a teeny bit of rubbing alcohol as opposed to water might do the trick without all the scary scary of putting water on a heatsink. Also, I think the fan should be removable, right? I honestly don't know 100%, I just RTFM, which is probably what you did too, so your guess is as good as mine...

Serial Port
0 Kudos

bump