cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clc86
Paper Tape
Views: 1,329
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad y480 how to install OS on SSD instead of HDD?

First of all, I am a big computer noob and am really not good with them. 

That said, I just received my y480 and noticed the OS is installed on the 1TB hard drive as opposed to the 32GB SSD. It's to my understanding that it would be better (faster) to have the OS installed on the SSD instead. 

Two questions:

1. Are there advantages of having the OS on the HDD than the SSD? Do they outweight the advantages of having it on the SSD?

2. If I should install it on the OS, how do I go about doing so? I don't have any disks. I tried the Onekey Recovery but I couldn't seem to find how to ge the OS switched the SSD. It would only allow me to do it on the HDD again.

Thanks so much!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,295
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad y480 how to install OS on SSD instead of HDD?

hi clc86,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community.

The sole purpose of the 32GB mSATA SSD is to improve system performance by caching data (it remembers your frequently accessed files for faster access). If you have Windows 7, lenovo uses Rapid Drive to combine the mSATA SSD and HDD to cache data. For Windows 8, the BIOS is "somewhat" modified to combine the two drives mSATA SSD and HDD using RAID 0 and use Intel Smart Response Technology. The OS is usually installed on the HDD and the mSATA SSD as a dedicated cache drive.

If you want to install the OS on the mSATA SSD, you can clean install by using a retail copy of Windows or try this software (or a similar app) to move yuor OS and apps from your HDD to the mSATA SSD.

If you want to greatly speed the overall performance though, I would get a 2.5 SATA III SSD Vertex 4, and make it as a primary drive and install the Operating System and frequently accessed softwares / files there and I'll get a 2.5 SATA enclosure to use with the 1TB HDD or sacrifice your ODD by putting the HDD on a 12.7mm HDD Caddy (you can get a 12.7mm ODD Enclosure to still use your ODD).

See page 39 on how to replace the HDD and page 42 on how to access the SSD compartment under the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Note

Please backup your files before making any changes on the OS. 

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

clc86
Paper Tape
Views: 1,274
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad y480 how to install OS on SSD instead of HDD?

Hi neokenchi,

Thank you for the reply. I saw this reply to another thread and tried using the Paragon software but had no luck. I think I'll just stick with it on the HDD.

Thanks.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors