Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomokka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,146
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad y500 problems

Hey all!

I have a couple of weird problems with my 1 month old y500 ideapad that i require help with.

1. Cant remove ultrabay

Since i got the machine I have noticed that most of the time Windows 8 doesnt recognice my second graphics card and because of this i dont get the option of using SLi in the nvidio control panel. I got so frustrated with this problem that i decided that i will remove the ultrabay and put it back in. The weird thing is that no matter how hard i try to pull the ultrabay it wont come out. I have followed the instruction in the manual by first removing the battery, pressing the unlock button to open and then pressing the unlock button in the centre while trying to slide the ultrabay free. I dont know if its somehow stuck there or is there some step i have forgotten, but it is a very frustrating problem.

2. Windows doesnt recognice my other graphics card

Like i mentioned with the ultrabay problem, windows cant seem to find my other graphics card. The really weird thing is that when i tried to remove the ultrabay and failed, then put the battery in and started the computer, Windows all of the sudden recogniced the other graphics card and sli worked. So my guess is that there is some kind of problem with how my ultrabay is connected to the computer

3. CPU usage is always close 100%

When i got the machine it ran fine, but these days i have noticed that its quite slow. I open the task manager and see that my cpu usage is pushing close to the 100% mark. I dont know if this is a software or hardware problem, but I was just thinking that it might have something to do with ultrabay problems.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,103
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad y500 problems

hi Tomokka,

Welcome to the Forums.

Regarding the issues that you're having:

1. You're probably right. There's most likely a plastic piece that's getting stucked as you're removing the ultrabay correctly (see this disassembly video). You'll most likely send the unit to service to get this fixed.

2. If the secondary GPU via the ultrabay is getting detected, running dxdiag will show you an Approx. Total Memory of 4GB under the Display Tab. If it only shows you 2GB, SLI is either disabled or there's a loose connection between the ultrabay and the motherboard.

Also, SLI requires that you're plugged-in to an 170W AC adapter. Otherwise, it won't work.

3. On the Task Manager, can you try to go to the Performance Tab and hit Open Resource Monitor. In that app, it'll show you the process/service that's eating up high CPU usage.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Tomokka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,070
Message 3 of 4

Hei, Thanks for your reply

The sli seems to work for the time being, but since i cant remove the ultrabay I dont feel very secure with it and might take it to maintenence soon.

The bigger problem at the moment is the CPU and memory usage. Since the last time i wrote, the memory usage has also spiked close to 100%. This makes the computer basically unusable.

The biggest processes that take CPU recourses are : System, Service( My computer is finnish so the actual translation for Service is "Service and driver application, but i am sure thats not the english name), and Service hoasting WIA.

The biggest user of memory is Local service hoasting.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,034
Message 4 of 4

hi,

You may want to check this microsoft thread to see what's causing the high memory usage. Also, if you run an app, observe the memory that it uses. If it memory usage is incremental and doesn't stop, you may have a memory leak on that app.

Alternatively, you may also want to perform a clean boot to isolate any 3rd party app that's causing the system instability

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors