Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thisisoldhat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,606
Message 1 of 21

Ideapad y510p elan touchpad erratic jumping and clicking

I've had my y510p for about 3 months now (after it was replace because the first one I recieved went all crashy and insane).

I "upgraded" windows 8 to windows 8.1 in a funny moment about a week after I got it - which over all seems to have gone totally fine.

The elan touchpad has always been a little anoyingly "wooly" but basically functioned well. But about 3 weeks ago it started making little hops as I tapped meaning I clicked on the wrong thing and then it started sometimes wandering and jittering while my fingers were resting on it (especially anoying when using 2 finger scrolling). then it started going into a little dancing about mode where occassionally it starts hopping about and clicking on things. which is a total pain.
 It doesnt do it all the time but it seems to get more frequent. it also seems to increase with sonsistent use (like if im clicking arround on pinterst or something then it seems to get worse and worse - grounding issue?)

Its anoying enough now that I dont trust it and as often as possible turn it off and use an external mouse - but obviously that not good enough.

I have downloaded and installed the more recent drivers for windows 8.1 64bit from the lenovo website here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=DS037924

and its hard to say really but if anything that has made it marginally worse...

Any help gratefully recieved - I really hope its a fixable software problem as I'm in the middle of a big project and cant afford to have my laptop out of action any time soon.

Thanks

unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 11,562
Message 2 of 21

Re: Ideapad y510p elan touchpad erratic jumping and clicking

Unfortunately the drivers on the Lenovo website are quite old.  I got fed up with how the track pad works in the Y510P so I started experimenting with a variety of drivers.  The ELAN drivers I am using now are intended for Toshiba laptops but they work fine on the Y510P.  You can read more info starting here.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/720343-ideapad-y510p-359.html#post9622928

I find that the track pad is a lot better with these drivers.  There are more adjustments and more features so you can get it working like how a track pad is supposed to work. 

Lenovo has ignored this problem for months.  You will need to fix this problem yourself.

I plan to write a clear guide this weekend with lots of pictures to show you exactly what needs to be done to install these drivers into a Lenovo Y510P.  

Thisisoldhat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,492
Message 3 of 21

Hi Unclewebb,
thnks for the reply. I'll try the driver from the link on your other post.
I hope it works because my touch pad is utterly bananas at the moment - not just inacurate and fluffy but pure 100% insane a lot of the time randomly clicking all over the shop even when im not touching it - or even when I'm not touching the computer sometimes... wish me luck

Did you ever make the step by step - that would be helpful.

Thisisoldhat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,488
Message 4 of 21

But - just to check before I go through all the rigmarole of this update - do you think these drivers will help the stability of my device or do they just have more features - do you think there is any reason to suppose they will help with my randomised jumping and clicking problem? Is that likely to be a hardwear problem?
It behaves in a similar way to how it behaves when you put a live earphone cable on it...
unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 11,475
Message 5 of 21

These drivers made a BIG difference to the stability of the ELAN track pad.in my Y510P.  The twitch is gone.

Unfortunately I have had zero feedback so I have not written up a guide.  Installing some free drivers is hardly a rigamarole.  For a few minutes of your time, your ELAN track pad will start working a lot better.  If you take a few more minutes to set up a dead area over top of where the mouse buttons are, this will fix another big problem with the Y510P. You will finally be able to use the mouse buttons without the mouse jumping to a different location.

SmartArea.png

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  I was considering selling my Y510P before finding these drivers but not now.  Here's a few more clues about installing these drivers.

http://i.imgur.com/gTePfsF.png

Download the drivers, unzip them and when updating your drivers, tell the installer that you have a disk and Browse to the X64 directory that contains the ETD.inf install information file that you just downloaded.  Installling these drivers is not rocket science.

I will do up a guide by next weekend.

Thisisoldhat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,459
Message 6 of 21

that sound like great news and the dead zone sounds diamond. I'll get on it and
let you know what the results are.

Thanks again.
lance1
Paper Tape
Views: 11,435
Message 7 of 21

Thanks for posting this info -- even though it seems fairly simple to do, I am extremely hesitant to do anything further to my 510p.  I got it in March, allowed Windows to update itself two days later, and had the black screen-and-nothing-else for a week. Reading other first buyers' experiences was disappointing.  I reinstalled with OKR, it's been working fine, except for the Elan touchpad since then, not allowing windows or anything to update at all.  I've adapted to the lack of two finger activity by pressing down on and clicking the entire touchpad with two fingers for right button touch.  But no three or four fingers action is possible.  The drifting, self-clicking cursor has not started for me yet. 

I would welcome detailed instructions on this, admittedly, simple driver update.  I haven't touched one outside driver thus far, based on my first week of black screen.  I hope you'll post this guide, I will try it.  Thanks!

Thisisoldhat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,341
Message 8 of 21

Hi again  - An update on progress,

well thanks Uncleweb for the post, unfortunately after I had installed the driver you posted the erratic mad jumping persisted and in fact eventually the touch pad stopped responding at all, so I reverted back to the ones from the lenovo website. (Maybe I did something wrong in the installation - but it seemed to go as it should)

I did get the chance to try the dead zone thing but it doesnt really function in the way I hoped - it doesnt kill movement for a part of the touch pad (effectively making buttons*) It only activates after you start typing and is intended to prevent accidental touch pad use...

The erratic jumping and clicking is now totally intollerable - I have to deactivate the touchpad all the time  - If i leave it on and go away from the PC for a while I come back to find that all manner of programs, control panels and settings are open and being clicked on at random - not good - in fact quite stressful...

I think I have to finally admit that this is maybe a hardwear problem (something inside the machine is parhaps triggering the touch pad?) rather than simply the crappy software. I think the whole thing is such a dissapontment from such an expensive piece of kit and Lenovo should be ashamed... Its not like touchpads are a new type of technology...

Theres nothing I can do until after the 17th as I have a big project on which relies on me having my machine in action (such as it is) - does anyone have any experience of the customer service with getting things fixed? (que fresh outrage when I realise that the Think section of Lenovo is serviced differently from the rest - it feels like they are resting on the bought in reputation???) ah but perhaps this is straying into bitter ranting so I'll get off now - just wish I have know it was going to be this complicated and saddening.

*- why cant we just have buttons? I like buttons -you know where you are with a button!

unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 11,304
Message 9 of 21

I tried installing these drivers a 101 different ways and found out that you need to follow a complicated procedure to get them to install correctly.  Try following this guide and see if it fixes your problems.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/751866-installing-updated-elan-track-pad-drivers-y...

It is possible that your track pad has something physically wrong with it but try installing these drivers one more time just to see if it makes a difference.

shfearon
Token Ring
Views: 11,240
Message 10 of 21

thanks for the good drivers but even with asus or toshiba drivers the touch pad still has a mind of its own. if you squeeze on both sides of the touch pad (the palm rest imidiateltely on the edge of both sides of the touch pad) the misbehaviour stops so i kno it is some form of a grounding/ static build up problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors