Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Svdl101
Paper Tape
Views: 1,731
Message 1 of 9

Ideapad y560p dead after bios update

Good day.
I have a Y560p. I accidentally updated the bios with the update for the y560. When the system rebooted the laptop was dead as a doornail. The update completed correctly but only the cd rom light goes on when the laptop is on power now.

I have reseated the ram with no luck. I've also done a power drain to no avail. My laptop is not in warrenty anymore so I,ll need to fix it myself.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards
rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 1,696
Message 2 of 9

Re: Ideapad y560p dead after bios update

Unfortunately since you Flashed a bios not for your motherboard you are out of luck and need a new bios chip or eeprom you either need to take apart your computer and replace your motherboard or have lenovo replace the chip is the only way. Edit: you can try this best of luck http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Bios-Recovery-For-ideapad-laptops/td-p/8842...
I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, X220T, P50 4K (sold), X1C5
Svdl101
Paper Tape
Views: 1,669
Message 3 of 9

Thanks mate.

I'll be trying that tonight.

Hold thumbs!!!
no_power
Paper Tape
Views: 1,645
Message 4 of 9

Hi!

Did you manage to resolve your problem?

I have a similar problem with my Y560(no p) ...after fixing my screen hinges I put the computer back togheter and ...it doesn't start, when I push the power button only the power led, ideapad logo led and cd-rom light come on for ...1 second and then nothing.

Any tips?

Thanks

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,643
Message 5 of 9

@no_power wrote:

Hi!

Did you manage to resolve your problem?

I have a similar problem with my Y560(no p) ...after fixing my screen hinges I put the computer back togheter and ...it doesn't start, when I push the power button only the power led, ideapad logo led and cd-rom light come on for ...1 second and then nothing.

Any tips?

Thanks

Hi

Welcome to the forum!!

Please double check and see if you have attached everything you removed when fixing the hinges. Also swap the ram sticks.

Regards

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
no_power
Paper Tape
Views: 1,633
Message 6 of 9

I was getting ready to double check(for the 5th time), I did not try swaping the ram, but I did try removing hdd, cd-rom and ram sticks and put them back one at a time ...I'll give it a try
Thanks for the reply
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,624
Message 7 of 9

When you tried to fix the hinges, what all did you remove?Did you follow any guide or did it on your own?
Also,just in case, did you remove the lcd socket or the heatsink fan equipment while doing so?
And did any wire get snapped?
Regards
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
no_power
Paper Tape
Views: 1,616
Message 8 of 9

ok, so ...here is what I did and what were my suspicions so far.

To get to the hinges, I had to remove all removeble parts:

-battery, hdd, cd-rom and some dummy cards

-led board, keyboard, upper casing 

-motherboard, I had to disconnect the heatsink fan, but did not remove the heatsink itself

-and finnaly the lcd unit, Ionly removed it from the buttom casing by unsrewing the hinges, did not take it apart since there was no need to replace the hinges

I used the maintanance manual as a reference but did not use a tutorial for the repair part ...but that was all screws and some glue.

I do not notice any damage to any of the cables and I am certain I did not force them. The only exception is the logo led power cable wich kinda took me by surprise when removing the motherboard upper casing(but that one works for sure) 

Ok so here were my suspicions:

-some disconnected cable, on the first try I did miss the touchpad cable as it was stuck under the upper casing, but that was it, the rest of them were in place, I just reopened it and all cables were ok.

-the cmos battery, I had to use some glue to keep it in place, and later(on the 4th try) I disconnected its power cable from the motherboard

-I took this oportunity to clean some of the parts, including the motherboard, I used some volatile alchool based substance for this, and I allready checked for traces of oxidation, found none (the computer did not start, not even once, so I think I'm safe here)

-the antenna cables comming from the lcd unit were a bit annoying to deal with, and I had to redirect them, they do not apper to be damaged and I assume they're not the cause, they are only antena cables after all. (I redirected them away from any heat source)

-on my 3rd attempt I noticed that on the motherboard, just over the left hinge(as you look at the screen) there are 2 black chips that appear to be the video memory chips, they might have been touched by the hinge before the repair, but I doubt they will cause this behavior if they fail.

-my latest suspicion is inspired by your post ...I did not remove the heatsink, do you thik there is any possibility that this could cause such behaviour? I repasted the cpu and video card 2 months ago.

I'm sorry for my english, I use a secondary computer and do not have a spell-checker for some reason ...and I'm not a native english speaker.

Thanks

cvt6016
Paper Tape
Views: 352
Message 9 of 9

i have followed the procedure using wincrisis tool, but after attaching USB to affected laptop usb LED  didnt blink and nothing happens, its just showing black screen , how to resolve the problem ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors