Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwnmaniak
What's DOS?
Views: 583
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad y580 i5 vs i7 processing

Hello there guys.

Didn't want to trouble you over such trifles, but here is the problem.  I bought 2 laptops- i5 2,5GHz HDReady for a friend and i7 2,4GHz  FHD version for myself, both 8gb ram. 

Using internet browser or running simple desktop apps. ( e.g.chrome, windows player) i noticed a small difference in respond and processing time. Despite me having an i7 4-core processor my computer's respond time varies between 2 to 3 seconds, he literally laggs behind, while i5 would do the very same thing almost instantly.

Funny fact is, that after I quit running graphically demanding game ( battlefield 4 if I remember c'orrectly), all of a sudden my laptop speeded up and  worked good without and processing delays.

My question is, if my laptop is capable of working with the pace if i5 laptop, notheless he refuses to do so, can I do something about it such as  prerunning random game in order to haste my computer or I should not be so persnickety about details.

Greets.

unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 565
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad y580 i5 vs i7 processing

I am not sure about your Y580 but on some Lenovo laptops like the Y50 and my Y510P, Lenovo has decided to disable Intel Turbo Boost when you are gaming.  This can leave the CPU running at about 70% of its Intel rated speed.  There might be a similar problem with your Y580.

You can use ThrottleStop to work around this issue but then you might discover that the cooling system is not adequate when you try to run at the full rated speed.  ThrottleStop has a log file option if you would like to know what speed your computer is really running at while gaming.  The i5 consumes less power so it might not have this throttling "feature".

nwnmaniak
What's DOS?
Views: 549
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for quick reply unclewebb.
I am not that advanced in computer software though. ThrottleStop supported me with a vivid description of my CPU usage including temp, clock modulation, and a plethora of digits I am not familiarised with.
Is there a possibility for me to upload a printscreen image for You to catch a glimpse of and asses if all the digits are possibly running OK?
P.S. Only recently did I turn off Leovo's Energy Management Hard Disk Driver Power Save. Although, the description says, that this option will only be avaible during the battery run, it's disconnection somehow speeded up my HDD, hence all the programms- chome etc.- are running relatively smooth, no more lagging behind.
I want to believe, problem's been solved permanently, not temporarily though.

Greets.
unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 541
Message 4 of 6

I would be happy to have a look if you post a screen shot.  I like using www.imgur.com for screen shots.  You can do a CTRL + V to paste directly to their site.  If you highlight ThrottleStop, hold down the ALT key and then press the Print Screen button to get a snap shot of just ThrottleStop.  Try running something simple like a single thread of the built in TS Bench.  While the test is running, get a snapshot of ThrottleStop so I can make sure your CPU is running at the correct speed.

You can also turn on the log file option and then go play a game.  When finished, exit ThrottleStop and the log file will be written to a Log directory with today's date on it.  You can copy and paste that information to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here so I can have a look.  Many laptops have multiple problems.  Glad to hear that your laptop is running better already. 

nwnmaniak
What's DOS?
Views: 508
Message 5 of 6

OK, I did a print screen of ThrottleStop monitoring my PC with desktop default settings set, subsequently I ran TS Bench Tests ( both 32m and 1024m) and an In-Game TSLog while playing ( in my opinion graphically demanding game) Wolfenstein The New Order. Here are the results.
Either I am incapable of doing computer stuff or total weight of image I sent was beyond the limit hence whole album could not be uploaded.
Here You have a Print Screen link IMGUR Print Screen
and here- pastebin TSLog link TSLog

Let me know if those files are available for You or there are exclusively accessible to host.

unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 496
Message 6 of 6

When you upload an image to imgur, try posting the Direct Link that it gives you.  I could not see the image from the link that you posted.

Your log file shows that there is a throttling problem.  Here's some background info just so you know how to understand the log file.  The C0% represents CPU load and the Multi column represents the speed your CPU is running at.  

2014-09-25  09:43:00  28.02    4.3  100.0  100.0        0   43   1.1108    7.7
2014-09-25  09:43:01  31.76   25.6  100.0  100.0        0   52   1.1309   19.6

At 09:43:01, you start gaming, the CPU multiplier goes up to 31.76 and then increses to approximately 32..  For about 20 seconds, Intel Turbo Boost is working properly and your CPU is running at its rated speed.  Your CPU peaks at about 66C and then after 20 seconds, your laptop disables Turbo Boost and the multiplier drops down to 24.  

32 / 24 = 1.33 so your CPU would be running 33% faster if it was not being throttled.  Your CPU temperature is fine and power consumption is also fine so your CPU should be running at its full Intel rated speed.  There is no reason for it to be throttling like this.  My Y510P also does the same thing.

If you use ThrottleStop you can fix this.  Check EIST, check Set Multiplier and set that to the highest possible value, disable BD PROCHOT and then click on the Turn On button.  That will take ThrottleStop out of monitoring mode and it will adjust your CPU so it runs at the speed that Intel intended it to run at.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors