cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Croggs
Blue Screen Again
Views: 797
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad z570 - dead motherboard, data recovery?

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad z570 (Model: 1024). It won’t boot up, and I had it looked at by a local expert computer repair shop that said the motherboard is dead.

I‘ve had the laptop since around 2006 or 07. It has a lot of self-created problems and it’s not worth fixing (as far as I can tell), definitely not if it costs $250-300+ for replacement and install. 

Mainly, I want to be able to recover my data from the hard drive. I could get that done at the local repair shop, but they charge $110 for that service. My question is this: how difficult is it for a novice to recover data from a hard drive on their own? I’ve read it’s not difficult when a tower motherboard fails, but it seems like the process is a lot trickier with laptops in general.

Anyone have some experience or advice for recovering data from a hard drive (from a Lenovo Ideapad z570, more specifically)?

Alternatively, does anyone know how difficult it would be to replace a motherboard by himself (assuming someone without any experience is doing the labor)?

I’d really appreciate any advice! I’m looking into getting a new Lenovo right now, but I’m really concerned with recovering the data from the old laptop.

Thanks in advance all

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 785
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad z570 - dead motherboard, data recovery?

The easiest way to recover the data off the old HD would be to purchase a USB to 2.5" SATA drive enclosure similar to this one, remove your laptop's hard drive, mount into the new enclosure, plug it into a USB port on your new computer and then copy the data over to your new computers drive.   

Your old data should be all located in folders named favorites, Desktop, Documents and Pictures etc. located under C:\Users\<your username> , and can be copied over to the same locations on your new computer if desired.

Instructions on removing the HD can be found on page 37 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual linked below.    It also details the steps to remove the System Board (motherboard) which, as you will see, are far more involved.

Lenovo Z370/Z470/Z570 Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/Z370&Z470&Z570/Le...

Good Luck,

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 783
Message 3 of 4

You have two issues or 3.

(1)HDD spinner is waxed, real dead.

(2)HDD spinner is kinda waxed

(3)Some possible motherboard issue.

=

(3) describe your symptom. system wont boot? Dead HDD will cause this.

(1) and (2)

The only way to know if hdd is real dead/kinda dead is to use in another machine as a secondary drive(not that easy).  

You could order new HDD and establish an OS on your current machine, to prove motherboard is not the issue.

If you LOVE old hdd data, you must pay machine shop or find a friend offering to use their 2nd HDD connection. If HDD is dead, no recovery. If file structure intact, you could recover some data. 

=

Of course you could find an external USB-HDD box to drop your HDD into. On someone else's system.  This is the easiest way to go. Then we can declare your machine dead, until you purchase a New HDD+ add OS to it. 

=

JD solution is fine if you have a new system. You must pay shop or find a friend with USB-HDD drop in box or 2nd HDD connector to collect files from old HDD.

Then you must decide new HDD/New OS for Z570 or dumpster.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 760
Message 4 of 4

@Croggs wrote:

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad z570 (Model: 1024). It won’t boot up, and I had it looked at by a local expert computer repair shop that said the motherboard is dead.

I‘ve had the laptop since around 2006 or 07. It has a lot of self-created problems and it’s not worth fixing (as far as I can tell), definitely not if it costs $250-300+ for replacement and install. 

Mainly, I want to be able to recover my data from the hard drive. I could get that done at the local repair shop, but they charge $110 for that service. My question is this: how difficult is it for a novice to recover data from a hard drive on their own? I’ve read it’s not difficult when a tower motherboard fails, but it seems like the process is a lot trickier with laptops in general.

Anyone have some experience or advice for recovering data from a hard drive (from a Lenovo Ideapad z570, more specifically)?

Alternatively, does anyone know how difficult it would be to replace a motherboard by himself (assuming someone without any experience is doing the labor)?

I’d really appreciate any advice! I’m looking into getting a new Lenovo right now, but I’m really concerned with recovering the data from the old laptop.

Thanks in advance all

Look at this link.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors