Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dannyboidk
Paper Tape
Views: 8,191
Message 1 of 14

Ideapad z580 - Disk Usage 100% in windows 8

Hi.

I've owned a Lenovo Ideapad Z580 for a few months now. I've noticed that in task manager disk usage is often going to 100% and this is due to "system". I'm guessing that means windows 8 is causing this bottleneck, but i believe there's a problem with windows 8 because it shouldn't constantly be bringing my laptop to a slowdown by using 100% of the disk. It could also be possible the driver need's updating or this is just an issues with my laptop i'm unsure. I've looked hard to find sollutions but can't find anything. If anyone has any help or a sollution please let me know.

Cheers!

dannyboidk
Paper Tape
Views: 8,110
Message 2 of 14

Re: Ideapad z580 - Disk Usage 100% in windows 8

Also the post makes it sound like i'm asking for a windows 8 solution but i'm actually wondering if anyone else with a z580 has had this problem too, if the problem has affected other z580 users, and if there is some kind of sollution to the issue.

Luzescura
Paper Tape
Views: 7,895
Message 3 of 14

Hello,

Did you ever resolve this issue, I purchase a z500 model in May, system has now slowed to a crawl and shows 100% disk usage

Thanks

Peter
Highlighted
dannyboidk
Paper Tape
Views: 7,866
Message 4 of 14

Hey

I never did find a solution to this problem, and nobody replied saying they had this same problem and had a solution. I just updated to Windows 8.1 and the problem still remains. I still think it could be some kind of windows issue. My system runs fine a good deal of the time it's not slowed to a crawl, but I do find if I'm downloading, transferring files, gaming etc it can slowdown due to disk usage being at 100%. It's generally always listed as "system" causing this which makes me think there's a windows issue. It's also possible I guess that it's because the harddrive is only 5400rpm but I'm not a hardware expert so I can't say that's the issue. I've looked and looked for a solution but I'm yet to find one. Hopefully somebody on the Lenovo forums will stumble upon this with a fix. Sorry I can't give you a solution.

pisarz1958
Punch Card
Views: 7,861
Message 5 of 14

It's how Windows 8 is designed. There are some tips how to live with it on the Internet, for sure, but the best solution is just replacing your HDD with SSD drive.

nordicblue
What's DOS?
Views: 7,836
Message 6 of 14

I have this same exact problem on my z580. The hard disk shows 100% usage, and when I add up all of the usage it comes up to 1MB/s!!! This is really sad, even for a 5400RPM disk. 

I ran HD Tune and got an average of 22MB/s, which is more reasonable for a 5400RPM disk. However, the bar graph, for the scan dipped all the way down to 1MB/s, and it does it very often. The graph was a very sharp saw form.

I don't get why this issue is here, with this laptop. I have another PC, with not as nice of a processor, also 4GB of RAM, and a 5400RPM disk, and it does not have this same issue. 

Just don't get it...

nordicblue
What's DOS?
Views: 7,830
Message 7 of 14

I think I figured out half my problem. I have a Windows server for all my docs, images and videos. I had SYNC enabled and this was sucking up about 70% of the I/O. It also seems that Windows 8 does not report the SYNC usage in the performance counters, really odd... I turned off the SYNC, rebooted and now my disk usage is no longer pegged. 

I agree with another person, who posted here, I think it is time to pull the 5400RPM drive and slap in a SSD. I did this on my main work PC and it makes a world of a difference...

dannyboidk
Paper Tape
Views: 7,817
Message 8 of 14

I'd love to replace my HDD with an SSD but I'm a student and unfortunately they're quite expensive. But it's a real shame because it's something I never had a problem with in windows 7. But I might try turning off sync I find in my old htc everytime it wants to sync in the background it slows my phone to a halt so possibly this could work. But it's a real shame because although I wasn't expecting great transfer speeds from a 5400rpm HDD I wasn't expecting windows to slow me to a halt I'll give this a try and report in! Thanks for the advice everyone!

nordicblue
What's DOS?
Views: 7,804
Message 9 of 14

Yeah, I hear you. I'm a father, so it's hard to find money for these kinds of things too. I saved for my first one, a corsair neutron 256gb, for months...plus I waited for a sale akd picked one up for $170. Still a lot of $, especially when compared to a 250gb hdd... Going to see if there are any black friday deals this year for my z580..
Luzescura
Paper Tape
Views: 7,780
Message 10 of 14

Hi, I've reinstalled a few times now and concluded its a hardware fault, the laptop is going back for repair, I will post info on what was replaced when I get it back

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors