Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robmar0se
Punch Card
Views: 265
Message 1 of 1

Ideapad z580 recovery after hdd fail - note Lenovo documents incorrect

Not a happy bunny.

Originally I used the Lenovo inspired system backup so in the event of a hdd fail I had a thumb drive with the recovery media.  WRONG

Of course I now know I was an idiot - the Lenovo only works if you have the recovery partition on the hdd, which of course you won't have with a new hdd.  You must take a full bootable disk image to recover the complete system - be warned, the hdd must be the same size or larger than the original.

So at great expense (mine) I had to order the recovery disks from Lenovo @ €38 - 

They come without instructions, fine I thought set the BIOS to boot from the DVD - WRONG.

Looked up the online recovery disk procedure - WRONG

There is no functionality on the Z580 for the F1 key (try the F2 Lenovo!!)  That in itself is not good enough - there is nothing in the instructions to tell you to change from IUEFI mode to |egacy - without which the system won't boot from the recovery disks.

Moral of this story - don't take the Lenovo documentation at face value - I like the laptops, but their documentation and recovery methodolgy stinks.

Hope this helps those with a Z580 recovery situation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors