Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zabe_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,190
Message 1 of 12

Ideapd y510p sli overheating

So yeah.. I have this overheating problem with my harware. CPU's core temperatures when playing Conter Strike:GO or Borderlands 2 are 89-91C, and the GPU's are (0) 91C and (1) 98C!!!! I'm using an external coolerpad under my laptop and still this. Why can't the fan speeds be contolable or turned on 100% except with dust cleaning?!

Processor is i7 4700MQ (no overclocking) and GPU's are 2x Nvidia 755M (sli and no overclocking)

Guru
Views: 5,181
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ideapd y510p sli overheating

Definitely it looks like your system is pretty close to the warning threshold. You should definitely try these options -

1) Try the script in this link, it can be used to run your dust cleaning at periodic intervals.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshro...

2) If possible, get an AC or use an external fan pointed towards your laptop, in addition to the cooler you are already using.

3) Turn down your graphical settings, Medium/High would be a good choice.

4) Undervolt your CPU, if you are comfortable doing that. That should reduce a lot of your CPU heat.

What is your ambient temperature?

My ambient temp is 15 to 20 degrees celsius and my CPU temp goes upto 81 and GPU upto 85 under extreme stress like Battlefield 3 at ULTRA settings..

Mostly, it remains between 70 to 80 if I use High settings. I am using a CoolerMaster X2.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
zabe_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,149
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for the link! 

So what have I done so far, is 1) cutting unnessesary plastic out from case and 2) using the script for constant dust cleaning.

Now, my ambient temp is 24-25C(GPU) and 30-32(CPU) (same as before) and now at least main gpu runs max at 76C at high stress and secondary's max has come down to 91C(still a bit too much but standable), so some improvement Smiley Happy Also CPU cores are all below 80C now soo i think i'm quite satisfied for now.

This doesn't remove the fact though that lenovo really should make a BIOS upgrade for fan speeds. I think it is a little bit too much struggling to cutting holes to your case and make an autohotkey script for constant dust cleaning..

Anyway, thank you a lot Smiley Happy)

Guru
Views: 5,143
Message 4 of 12

Thats great that the cooling mods helped you although 91 still seems a bit high.

I hope you find another way to cool it down. What are your in-game settings? I dont like my Ultrabay GPU going over 85, so whenever it does that I permanently turn down that game to acceptable settings (mostly High settings work).

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Varroa
802.11n
Views: 5,132
Message 5 of 12

I had to repaste my ultrabay GPU and do the spring mod on it to get those temps under control

zabe_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,125
Message 6 of 12

And how do you do that exactly?

Varroa
802.11n
Views: 5,123
Message 7 of 12

There are a few threads over on Notebookreview forums explaining how to take the ultrabay GPU apart and there is a thread on how to re-past your CPU so I just combined the two. It lowered my ultrabay GPU temps by over 10c.

Oh, it will void your warranty on the ultrabay GPU most likely.

zabe_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,115
Message 8 of 12

Any links perhaps? Smiley Happy I'm a quite an amateur with modding notebooks

Guru
Views: 5,105
Message 9 of 12

If you are not experienced with handling notebooks, I would not advise you to repaste your GPU or CPU. Although its your decision, but the task is tricky and will most certainly void your warranty, if you leave any traces of mishandling the components.

Also, taking apart the Ultrabay GPU is no easy task. Good luck Smiley Happy

Varroa
802.11n
Views: 5,101
Message 10 of 12

@rockykoston wrote:

Also, taking apart the Ultrabay GPU is no easy task. Good luck Smiley Happy

Actually the Ultrabay GPU is much easier than the CPU but if you are not familar with hardware moding then I wouldn't recommend doing it without help or a lot of reading. You can most certainly destroy the hardware in the process if you don't know what you are doing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors