Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjwebb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,752
Message 1 of 6

Installing MSATA y580

I purchased the Y580 model with the 1tb 5400 rpm hard drive, no ssd or ssd cache. Is this model ready to accept an MSATA?

edit: Also how large of an ssd do I need to install windows 7 and a few apps? not looking to make it my main drive for media, just essential apps, is 60gb big enough?

rs1959
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,736
Message 2 of 6

Re: Installing MSATA y580

Yes, I have done this exactly.   You really NEED about 46GB.   60GB will be big enough as long as you move all user libraries and data to the conventional HD.      

You will be very pleased with the result.  

Note you need to find/procure the darn little screw that secures the mSata SSD.  I just posted a question about trying to find this screw.   

rs1959
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,728
Message 3 of 6

(But if budget not overly restricted, 128 GB SSD would be nice.)

Tip:   I like to set it up with sort of a temp user, then do this registry edit so that all new users will have their libraries and default locations pointed to the conventional drive.   I find it makes things easier to create a user that has all libraries already so pointed rather than try to move everything after the fact.    Its quite easy to do.

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2009/05/how-to-change-user-profile-default-location-in-windo...

Note: 

Be SURE to copy the DEFAULT folder, and not just change path.

If only 1 user will be using computer, you might make the path D:\ rather than D:\USERS.   That way there wont be a fairly useless extra level in the path.

If when all done, wintin Explorer the Library shows “Unresponsive”, you need to add the location to Windows Search Indexing Options. (control panel.) 

cjwebb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,719
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply! will definitely look for one in the 120's but just wanted a ballpark of how much the OS would take up, thanks again!!

Dead2k1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,535
Message 5 of 6

On the y560p the os and recovery partition occupies about 45GB but if you use msconfig to disable hibernate you can squeeze out another for GB for your own programs.
MACROphage
Paper Tape
Views: 353
Message 6 of 6

Hello!

I realize that this is an old post but you seemed like a good person to contact about my issue.

I have a lenovo ideapad y580 with a 1 TB HDD (5400 rpm) and an i7-3630QM at 2.4GHz running Windows 8.1 64-bit and a 5DCN90WW(V8.01) BIOS.

I'm looking to buy an mSATA SSD on which to put my OS and a few other programs (mostly Steam games) for a little speed boost. I have decided on the 120 GB Samsung EVO but am a little worried about BIOS compatibility. Can you tell me if this is compatible or if there is somewhere I can find out? (Lenovo support being the last option)

Many thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors