Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nate
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,036
Message 41 of 92

Re: Installing SSD In y560

@CliffordS wrote:

21.5 seconds is very good. Is that from start button to first screen with icons or is it the complete load with wvweything loaded?

CliffordS

That time is from the Windows performance logs.

The timer starts at the POST screen, because that is the first time the boot device engages. With an SSD there is no time difference from login screen to actually logged in. It's as fast as you can type, or no login screen at all. Once that first screen is up, it's good to go...

joseph72
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,014
Message 42 of 92

actually, I have 2 mSata cards.  one is generic the other is samsung.  both are msata and both are 64gb.  the bios only recognizes the samsung one but not the generic one even though both have a sata controller built in.  so, I've only the explanation based on other posts that a whitelist for these devices exist.  Also, I have no reason so far to think that any standard sata SSD drive has been excluded, just the mini-pcie form factor msata cards.

joseph72
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,013
Message 43 of 92

is that time including the bios too?  my index scores are:

cpu                    7.1

memory            7.4

graphics           6.7

3d graph           6.7

hdd(with ssd)  5.9

with rapiddrive installed on a factory restore I still get about 30 secs to boot from power on to desktop.

upgrading my ram from 4gb 800MHz to 8gb 1033MHz changed my memory score from 5.9 to 7.4.

I can get 6.8 on the hdd speed if I keep the ssd and the hdd separate and do not install rapiddrive drivers but I thought improving the hdd speed transparently was the whole point of rapiddrive.  I get a score of 5.9 even without the ssd installed.  I even made sure to align the ssd and tried ssd tweaker but still no joy on getting closer to the 15 second boot time as advertised or improving the hdd index score...

any ideas would be appreciated. 

Nate
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,007
Message 44 of 92

I can get 6.8 on the hdd speed if I keep the ssd and the hdd separate and do not install rapiddrive drivers but I thought improving the hdd speed transparently was the whole point of rapiddrive.  I get a score of 5.9 even without the ssd installed.  I even made sure to align the ssd and tried ssd tweaker but still no joy on getting closer to the 15 second boot time as advertised or improving the hdd index score...

any ideas would be appreciated. 

You have to use something like CrystalDiskMark for true readings. Who knows what MS is using to calculate (most likely includes size which doesn't affect performance).
Rapiddrive excels at taking a small ssd and combining it with a large hdd. This basically gives it a cache and if it uses an intelligent algorithm (which I hear it does) then even better. However, if you have an SSD large enough to run on it's own, then that is definitely the best method. Even 32gb might be enough depending on what you do. I think i used like 40gb after installing the OS all my utils, the entire Adobe CS5 package etc etc...
Being able to choose what you install on which drive is great because you can prioritize. I don't care what speed my 500gb of media files run at, and even most of my game are installed on the HDD because after load up, it doesn't read / write that much.
In addition, I did a fresh install of Windows, so I don't have any of the additional softwares installed. Not sure how much bloatware was installed on the laptop to begin with. I don't think I even booted it once before repartitioning / reinstalling. Call it OCD, but I need to know everything that's running at all times. Helps troubleshooting, and if performance is off even a hair, I know somethings up...

csp0811
Punch Card
Views: 2,993
Message 45 of 92

could you give the model number of the card? If the Intel 310 works, which was only recently released (way after y560s were released I believe), I would assume that Lenovo did not blacklist/whitelist any drives, since if that were true the Intel mSata card should not work.

Are you sure it it is mSata and not a mPCIe SSD with a PCIe to Sata controller?
hurr_pancakes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,788
Message 46 of 92

Well, I tried to put an Intel 310 in my mini pcie slot, and it isn't seen in either the bios or the operating system, nor any bootable media I've tried.

That's a shame, would've loved to have a little 40gb ssd in my laptop to help boot times.

EDIT EDIT EDIT;

When I had put in the ssd, I put it in the individual mini pcie slot, and it wasn't recognized.

Later, I opened the hdd section on the back of my y560p, put the ssd in the free slot there, and it is recognized in a windows installation disk!

I didn't realize the one in the hdd compartment was mSATA, and the one in the individual compartment was mPCIE

I can't install an OS right now, but I will try later tonight, and will report back. With a picture of where to install it.

Highlighted
hurr_pancakes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,769
Message 47 of 92

Well, I've installed Windows 7 onto the SSD, as well as just about all the drivers included with the device, and a couple apps such as Firefox 4 and CrystalDiskMark.

Boot up time from the moment I hit the power button to the password input menu (measured by me and my stopwatch) was about 19 seconds. It took about 3 more seconds for Veriface to turn on and recognize me, which is much better than it was on a hard drive (Veriface took about 15 seconds before).  Here are my crystaldiskmark results:

Link to picture

And here is a picture of where to put the SSD (the mini PCIe slot on the right is where the integrated wifi card is placed)::

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

csp0811
Punch Card
Views: 2,760
Message 48 of 92

Thanks for the benchmark and installation photo! To be honest, I was hoping for much higher 4k random read speeds, but it still is an order of magnitude larger than the speed for the 5400 RPM HDD. Make sure to put the page file only on the SSD, so that the HDD can turn off when not being used; and I would leave the hibernation file on the HDD, since it only takes about 20 seconds to load from hibernation on the HDD anyway and there is not much space on the SSD.

Good luck with the drive! Let us know if anything new comes up.
joseph72
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,601
Message 49 of 92

is there anyone here with a rapiddrive system that is getting anything close to a 15 second boot time from button push to desktop?

I'm getting just under 30 secs but no luck and getting it any shorter than that.  wondering if the youtube videos are just bogus propaganda by lenovo. 

csp0811
Punch Card
Views: 2,841
Message 50 of 92

In any demonstration by a manufacturer, the machine will be as optimized as possible for the given test. Lenovo most likely used a clean Win 7 install, with no bloatware and only the bare minimum of drivers.

If you want comparable results, you should try using one key recovery to go back to the factory install, reinstall your programs and rapiddrive, and test again. It won't  be 15 seconds, but it shouldn't be too far.

Alternatively you can have the SSD and the HDD as separate volumes, and install win 7 on the SSD. That way you can enjoy the full speed benefit, and place all of your  data files on the HDD. Make sure to place the page file on the SSD if you go this way.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors