cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nate
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,555
Message 21 of 92

Re: Does the Intel SSD 310 works inside Y560?

Finally, I think you guys are onto something here. After 2 non-working SSD's, I'm purchasing this one.

Notice in very small print at this link: http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2010/12/29/new-intel-solid-state-drive-310-s...

1 Based on Intel research and benchmarking utilizing PCMark Vantage on a Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 and 5400RPM HDD.

IngoPlaczek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,492
Message 22 of 92

Re: Installing SSD In y560

Hi, I got yesterday my new SSD and istall it, but get some problems. If you want to install Windows on the SSD, i must Format it before with NTFS. You must also  format your standard HardDisk, cause there are some Problems in Windows, with an existing System-Partition. You have to put the IDE0 before IDE1 in the Bios.

I installed Windows 7 after that Problem, and i only have to say, that its very very fast, and Rapiddrive works well. (Before installing Rapiddrive, you have to unallocate space on your HardDisk). Now I have 540GB as Volume C:\

csp0811
Punch Card
Views: 4,466
Message 23 of 92

IDE 0 huh?

So it seems that the first SATA port on y560ps (sandy bridge chipset supports 6 ports: two 6gps ports and four 3gbps ports) is reserved for the mini sata port.

This is looking good.

Here are a bunch of guides regarding alignment and proper SSD usage.

OCZ SSD ABCs

This link is a  guide to OCZ ssd usage and maintainance, though much of it applies to all SSDs.

Partition Alignment Guide

Align partitions using Vista Recovery Disc

Excel Spreadsheet that lets you calculate the required alignment offset. Also explains why alignment...

Take a look at these links, and let us know how things go!

By the way, you have a y560p right?

IngoPlaczek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,451
Message 24 of 92

hi, I only have an y560 without the p, but the german model M29BFGE (if theres an difference).

IngoPlaczek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,409
Message 25 of 92

hi, here is an photo of the futuremark pcmark vantage test

markozutic
SCSI Port
Views: 4,367
Message 26 of 92

So did anyone got SSD working affter buying it separately?
if yes how did ya make it work and wich model did u buy? Thaks
csp0811
Punch Card
Views: 4,356
Message 27 of 92

IngoPlaczek got an intel 310 40GB mSATA Soda Creek SSD working in his y560. He got a PCMark Vantage HDD test score of over 11000 points. The Vertex 2 gets about 36000 and a 10,000 RPM Velociraptor gets a score of 600. It's not a industry leader, but it is several orders of magnitude faster than a platter drive.

It should work in all mSATA equipped laptops because it uses only the PCIe form factor, not wiring. It's wiring is actually SATA, so it shows up as a hard drive through the SATA interface rather than the PCIe interface. On his it shows up as IDE 0 on the bios.

I think I'll get one myself pretty soon. The power consumption should hopefully be lower, since if you place the OS and the page file on the SSD only, the platter drive can be turned off when it is idle, which should be almost all the time. Make sure to align the SSD. I gave a few links earlier on how that should be done (I've nver done it myself).

BTW, the 80 GB drive is about twice as fast as the 40GB version. I would get that if I were you.

Note: Make sure your laptop has an mSATA connector. It's a slot that looks like mini PCIe but is actually wired for SATA. Your product sheet should be able to tell you that.

IngoPlaczek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,328
Message 28 of 92

hi, I have the 80GB modul, so its the fastest way with 11000 points, but I will deinstall the rapiddrive-tool and make the test only with te ssd, cause I think, it's very faster only using the ssd with a seperate hd

csp0811
Punch Card
Views: 4,311
Message 29 of 92

Oh that's the 80 GB drive! I think i would be a bit faster without rapid drive, since you can have the entire OS on the SSD. Put the page file on the SSD also and see what pcmark vantage score you get. Also, if you have Windows 7, could you tell us ur Windows Experience Index score for the SSD?

Nate
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,947
Message 30 of 92

Ideapad Y560 - 0646

The 80GB Intel SSD really screams. No rapid drive. Just install the hardware in the mpcie next to the Wifi card (slot 5 from the manual), reinstall Windows on it and then go through some basic SSD tuning (if you wish).

The drive is TRIM ready and Windows optimizes it as such. Disable Indexing if you wish, depends on how much you use search, and that's about it. Although with 6GB RAM, I dropped the pagefile to start at 512mb - 2048mb and stuck it on the HDD spindle. Even though it rarely gets written to anyway, sometimes I have a ton of apps open so it doesn't hurt as a safety net.

Windows Experience rating was 6.8 (my lowest score from the graphics card even though its an ATI 1GB HD 5700), the primary hard drive (SSD) got a 7.7. This one hardware upgrade, just made the notebook worth it...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors