Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BIOS1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,900
Message 1 of 12

Is BIOS update for Y510 really necessary?

I am thinking of updating my BIOS for my Lenovo Y510 by using the procedure descibed here https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht070997 after downloading BIOS file (06CN33WW.ROM) to my Hard Disk Drive (HDD). This BIOS update is described as "critical" If I am not mistaken.

The present BIOS is LENOVO v: 06CN28WW date: 03/12/2008

I have not had any trouble with the PC, so I am wondering how necessary it is to update the BIOS.

Thank you,

B.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,862
Message 2 of 12

Re: Is BIOS update for Y510 really necessary?

If your present BIOS is working good and supports the installed hardware without any problems then I would just leave it as is.   Even under the best conditions a BIOS upgrade can fail and render your laptop unusable.  If you are out of warranty and have no problems then it is best left alone IMHO.   In the future if you plan on a hardware upgrade and a newer BIOS version is needed to support that hardware then would be the time to re-consider it. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

BIOS1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,855
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Majestic,

The one problem I had with the BIOS was an incorrect date and time. I had to reset the BIOS to a correct date after the laptop went off spontaneously. (I thought this might be from overheating, but I don't think it was now.) I'm not sure why the laptop went off spontaneously.

I could not get the correct time to show on the taskbar, it was several hours behind, but progressing normally. So I had to fool my OS by setting my time zone ahead in order to get the right time on my screen. This problem may be because the CMOS battery is old. BUT I HAVE NOT HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE I SOLVED IT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. So my PC seems fine.

Any other comments you or anybody else have would  be welcomed.

Thanks again,

B.

KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 2,834
Message 4 of 12

I did the process like 1 year ago, I have the latest 3.08 BIOS version installed. It was easy as pie, just run an exe and you're done. Yeah, of course it's not like installing a Media Player in Windows, something can go wrong and you can kill your notebook, but if you do it connected to current, with 100% battery, chances of failing are almost 0%. Just make sure you install the correct BIOS exe, and you should not have a problem at all.

Nonetheless, it was around exactly that time when, I don't know how neither why, my Express cache software stopped working, and this caused big problems in my system: the notebook couldn't shut down completely, never, it always got stuck turning off, the HDD was 100% almost all the time, and the notebook was very slow.

I have the 1TB HDD + 24GB SSD M.2 configuration. The first year the cache SSD worked like a charm, but then, all of a sudden, it stopped working. At first I thought it was the new BIOS update what messed my notebook so much, so I reversed to the previous one I had. That didn't solve it. After a week trying to find out what in hell happened (not even refreshing the notebook neither restoring from factory solved the problems), I uninstalled the cache software and BOOM, all problems solved. So, since then, I've removed the 24GB SSD from the notebook and I'm only using the HDD. I'm starting to believe that the SSD got broken.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,833
Message 5 of 12

BIOS1, from what you have described, I don't see the time and date problem being BIOS related.  I suspect a glitch with the operating system caused that problem.  A way to check would be to power off the laptop, unplug from the charger and remove the main battery.  Leave it sit like that for 15 to 30 minutes.  Then put the main battery back in and plug in charger if needed.  When you boot up if the time and date are wrong then the CMOS battery has failed and needs to be replaced.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

BIOS1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,815
Message 6 of 12

Thank you Majestic and Kronos,

Another reason I am hesitant to update my BIOS is because the battery is old and does not hold much of a charge. It discharges quickly. Having both battery and AC power seems to be an important requirement for doing a BIOS upgrade.

B.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,804
Message 7 of 12

You are welcome BIOS1.

You are correct.  A good working battery is essential when updating the BIOS.  Unexpected power failures can happen. 

KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 2,795
Message 8 of 12

Well, there is a huge difference between an old battery and a faulty battery.

If your Y510P original battery is 4 years old and have been used a lot, then I guess you could survive like 2-3 hours of normal usage. I tested the battery when I first bought it and it lasted 6 and a half hours browsing and watching YouTube videos, screen always on.

So, unless your battery is faulty, meaning it makes your notebook shut down or something like that, you should not have a single problem updating your BIOS. I would use it until it goes almost 0%, then charge it up to 100%, and the do the updating process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
BIOS1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,773
Message 9 of 12

Thanks Majestic and Kronos,

Kronos,

I have a Y510, not a Y510p. I was given the Y510 for free, I assume it was built in 2008 and is about 9 years old. So I really don't trust the battery much. In fact I just tried to unplug the AC power and the PC went into hibernation mode or something after 1 minute. The battery icon always looks like the battery is completely discharged. I really don't want to chance a BIOS update unless I am sure of the battery.

I just checked the power manager and the battery charge is 0% and the AC has been plugged in all day.

B.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,762
Message 10 of 12

The 0% charge issue might stop you from updating the BIOS anyways.  Not sure about your model, but several other models I have worked with require at least a 20% charge on the battery otherwise the BIOS update program won't do the upgrade. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors