cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
insipidipity
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,708
Message 1 of 8

Is it bad idea to reveal serial number in posted pictures ?

Hi!

What are the pros/cons for revealing the serial number of ie. lenovo laptop  in pictures taken of it with a camera, when posting the pictures on the internet ?

For example can someone use the serial to register it somewhere and eventually do something I wouldn't want done?

What I'm aware of so far is ability to register product via its serial number on lenovo site and see what its components are and when warranty expires...

I'm also aware that serial number can be tracked down to the name of the person that bought it(and name/address obviously). But not by any normal user, but rather by those involved in selling the product like manufacturer and 3rd party seller.

"any information sent to Lenovo will be deemed NOT to be confidential."
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,693
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is it bad idea to reveal serial number in posted pictures ?

Hi insipidipity,

It's never a good idea to post a serial number publicly, such as here on the open forum.    Using it for a parts lookup or to check warranty status is safe enough.

I'm not going to get into the various ways that serial numbers are misused, that might give some people bad ideas.

If you are going to post pics, mask the serial number.  Also, keep the MS COA number hidden.  That can also be misused.  

Model and Type numbers are okay to post.  In fact, we require those most times in order to help members.  

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
insipidipity
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,658
Message 3 of 8

thank you for this. However I already uploaded the pics on picasa&imgur and they show the serial for both laptop and wireless mouse (both lenovo), I don't really want to censor them, for I think it's too late and also I want to feel free Smiley Happy I just hope people won't misuse them too badly so it will spring back against me somehow. I have been hiding all serial numbers so far in pics that I posted, but starting with these lenovo pics I don't want to hide them anymore. Also I'm not sure what MS COA number is (probably seen underneath of the laptop sticker didn't yet check) but it is also likely included in the pictures.

Let us hope this won't backlash against me xD

Again thanks and I love my Lenovo Z575

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,647
Message 4 of 8

I suppose that it depends on what you're using the pics for.  

The COA is the license for the operating system.  Lenovo has been putting them under the battery, so if that is where yours is, it's most likely hidden unless you take the battery out. 

I'm glad you like your machine.  Good luck with your pics.

Dave

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
insipidipity
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,637
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Dave, I had FreeDos which means no OS serials yey Smiley Happy

by the way all the pics are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/theatrical7

for Lenovo Z575 P/N: 59-3166662Y

EDIT: btw, my main hope with putting the pictures up is that someone like me would enjoy seeing them before deciding to purchase this laptop, I know I would've enjoyed and it would've helped me in deciding towards purchasing it, and even doing it without them was a good idea.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,620
Message 6 of 8

Nice pics.  I only see one pic with a serial number in it.  If you got rid of that one, you'd be safe.

Dave

insipidipity
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,614
Message 7 of 8

There are also some bios screens showing serial number and other pics which when zoomed in can show the serial, also the serial number of the wireless mouse is seen when zoomed in.  It's fine as they are, if not, I guess I'll see what happens and learn it the hard way Smiley Happy

Thanks for your replies, good day!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,607
Message 8 of 8

Yeh, you're right about the bios screens.

Well, good luck with it.

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors