cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Biggie_B
Not applicable
Views: 680
Message 1 of 4

Is there a way to disable the movement sensor on a portion of the Y500 touchapd?

Gentlemen,

I think we can all agree that having a touchpad without independent buttons was a poor design, at least by Lenovo. My problems is that when I try to left click on anything, the touchpad senses movement and usually the arrow moves as I'm clicking or about to click. My question is this: Is there a way to disable the movement sensor on the bottom right and left corners of the trackpad to allow me the freedom of click as if they were traditional buttons? Thanks!

OcFerris
Not applicable
Views: 624
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is there a way to disable the movement sensor on a portion of the Y500 touchapd?

I have the same problem.  This behavior makes the touchpad basically useless.  Does anyone know if this has been solved?

I've seen suggestions about reducing the sensitivity or turning off features as a workaround.  Not interested.  That's not the proper way to fix it.

I've had my Y500 for 2 days and, unless I find real resolution to the problem before Monday, I am going to send it back and replace it with a model/brand laptop that has a real touchpad. 

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 607
Message 3 of 4

Re: Is there a way to disable the movement sensor on a portion of the Y500 touchapd?

@Biggie_B wrote:

Gentlemen,

I think we can all agree that having a touchpad without independent buttons was a poor design, at least by Lenovo. My problems is that when I try to left click on anything, the touchpad senses movement and usually the arrow moves as I'm clicking or about to click. My question is this: Is there a way to disable the movement sensor on the bottom right and left corners of the trackpad to allow me the freedom of click as if they were traditional buttons? Thanks!

Try to disable one tap edge swipe option in the control panel under mouse properties.

OcFerris
Not applicable
Views: 588
Message 4 of 4

Thank you for the suggestion but disabling edge motion didn't make any difference.  However, I did find a solution from Synaptics (which is exactly where it needed to come from). Smiley Happy

I downloaded the latest touchpad driver directly from Synaptics here and found it has an option to resize the active touchpad area.  (I couldn't find a similar option on the Lenovo supplied version.)  The option is disabled by default but when made active will allow you to disable movement in the button area.  Anyway I tried it out and while I haven't fully tested it, it shows promise and seems to work pretty well.  The touchpad feels smoother and it even shows a little video for each option so you can SEE what that option does.  I found that if you drag from the active area down into the "disabled" button area the cursor will continue to move but as soon as you lift your finger the button area becomes inactive.  Basically place the cursor where you want it, lift your finger, press the button and the cursor stays put.

I'm MUCH happier with my laptop than I was a few days ago!  Hopefully this helps somebody else too.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors