Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HeyBobby
Paper Tape
Views: 884
Message 1 of 7

Is this as good as the webcam gets?

My new Lenovo Ideapad Z500 was advertised as having an HD webcam but the actual image is anything but. It's a 720p, so is a slightly fuzzy pixelated image about right for that quality of webcam?

germancjimenez
SCSI Port
Views: 877
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is this as good as the webcam gets?

My Y500 says it has an HD camera too but it's just as bad as the camera on my 2009 HP mini 311 $399 netbook with an ion processor... LoL

gott2go
Serial Port
Views: 841
Message 3 of 7

do make sure you have removed any thin layer of protective plastic on the lens (I also, was like what the heck, then realized there was a tiny sliver of plastic over the camera). Just a thought.
HeyBobby
Paper Tape
Views: 832
Message 4 of 7

I think I've removed all the plastic I can. Unless there's a tiny circular bit over the webcam which doesn't come off even if you pick at it a lot. I think it's just a low definition high definition webcam.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 820
Message 5 of 7

Do you have the Lenovo YouCam software installed? On my Y470, under the YouCam settings, I can set the Capture Resolution to 1600 x 1200. The default is 640 x 480. I don't know what settings you have for your HD camera, or how you are using your camera. Is it for Skype, or some other application?

If you deleted the YouCam program, or did a "fresh install" of your OS, the generic drivers of your camera could possibly only deliver the default 640 x 480 setting.

Since I don't have a Y500, I could be off base, but I'm just trying to help. On my Y470, even though I don't have an "HD Camera" my captures are really great.

YouCam.PNG

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

gott2go
Serial Port
Views: 809
Message 6 of 7

It was actually a tiny circle right over lens...,looked transparent....don't scratch your camera though picking at it Smiley Happy
HeyBobby
Paper Tape
Views: 799
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure it's not a plastic issue, unless they've really gone to town with the pick proof plastic and, as you said, I don't want to pick harder and harder in the hope there is some plastic and wreck the webcam in the process. I think if there was plastic it would be obvious.

I tried the YouCam solution and it was on the lower setting but it hasn't made any difference when I access my camera from the Start screen. I did, however, have lots of fun squashing my face and putting cartoon hats etc.

It doesn't matter greatly and only looks bad on full screen but I was expecting a bit better. Thanks again for the advice.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors