Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmb
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,845
Message 1 of 8

Is this normal? Lenovo 3000 Y410

I've had this laptop about two weeks - I just noticed that it I can hear the hard drive grinding when it boots and sometimes when I install or uninstall usb devices... I don't remember hearing this when I first purchased it nor do I hear it on other laptops.  This morning it froze and I have no idea why - had to hold the power button to shut it down and bring it back up in safe mode.  Should I worry about this machine?  I still have time to return it if necessary.
Retired Guru
Views: 1,836
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is this normal? Lenovo 3000 Y410

Well, alarm can be performed after you've made a bb-scan by MHDD.
It shows amount of bb (Bad Blocks) on your HDD.
I don't know whether bb go under warranty, you'd check support for that. Anyway, if found any, backup your data - crash might be knockign at your door.
And by the way - what do you mean under "grinding"?
t may be just a routine SWAP-file/registry/system-dll   reads/writes during work. In that case you might need some defragmentation.

Message Edited by skripatch on 05-15-2008 11:55 AM
//help will save the world
cmb
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,794
Message 3 of 8

I think maybe the "grinding" sound is normal and I hadn't noticed it previusly but my other laptops do not do this, but my concern is that once again upon "awakening" from sleep mode - it came up and appeared to be ok... except I knew the temp gadget was not correct which meant it had not update recently... after it was up a few seconds it went out again and came back with the error that it had not shut down correctly (I didn't touch anything) and gave options to reboot in safe mode etc but highlighted was "start up normally" - I was trying to decide what to do when it decided to do it for me... it restarted itself and seemed to come up ok but this is really scaring me - I still have time to send it back if I have a lemon.  Do you think I should just return it and start over?
Retired Guru
Views: 1,772
Message 4 of 8

This is not normal behaviour.
if it is software-dependent, you should reinstall all - OS/Drivers/Soft etc and check fi the problem gone.
If not - it's sure a hardware and under-warranty case. You'll have it replaced or repaired.
have you checked it by MHDD as I mentioned above?
cmb
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,751
Message 5 of 8

No, I haven't checked my MHDD - I'm not very techy (I'm sure that's obvious by now) and I don't know what MHDD means... Smiley Sad
Retired Guru
Views: 1,743
Message 6 of 8

Here's MHDD. An ISO that you must burn on CD and boot from.
Here's a documentation for it.
And here's a little but usefull FAQ on it.
Sam0r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,714
Message 7 of 8

On my laptop, if I tilt it upwards slightly, I can hear a sound which I can only describe as someone knocking on a door.. this isn't normal although it doesn't seem to affect the performace of it.

Also, I can hear the same sound if I boot it up and its freezing cold.

Does that sound familiar to you at all?
Retired Guru
Views: 1,698
Message 8 of 8

Sam0r, yes.
It's HDD's problem apparently.
Heads are tickling. Try downloading HDDLife and read the SMART parameters for it - whether it is healthy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors