Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canadianddd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,392
Message 1 of 8

Keyboard Backlit not working P500 Ideapad

After updating to windows 10 I noticed that the keyboard backlit didn't turn on no matter if I was pressing FN+Space bar. After several months of trying to solve this problem I came in contact with Microsoft tech support and I was told that my system doesn't seem to be compatibe with Windows 10 and I should downgrade back to Windows 8 in order to solve this problem. After doing that and installing many updates and drivers it still doesn't work. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,351
Message 2 of 8

Re: Keyboard Backlit not working P500 Ideapad

First, I assume you had the backlight option before the upgrade.  I believe the backlight is an option - not all p500 machines have it.

I don't have a P500 to look at, but in most models, the keyboard backlight is controlled in the BIOS, and does not depend on any drivers.  If you want to update the drivers for a particular OS, the easiest way is to install and run Thinkvantage System Update

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Canadianddd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,344
Message 3 of 8

I do have the backlit option. It used to work before. How can I control it through BIOS?
Guru
Views: 1,337
Message 4 of 8

Try reinstalling the Lenovo energy management: http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/IDEAPAD-P-SERIES-LAPTOPS/IDEAPAD-P50...

I'm not seeing an option via BIOS for backlight, but you can check on your model by pressing F2 continously during bootup or by using the OneKey button.

Most likely its that the backlit cable is not connected, or is defective (since its seperate from the keyboard data cable and is pretty fragile). Refer to these images to check that the power cable for backlit is connected:

original.jpg

original (1).jpg

Refer to service training for info on how to open your machine: http://lenovolearning.bhivesoft.com/bhive/t/1004/course_launch_frame.jsp?id=8002

And feel free to ask me any questions (I've worked on this exact model before Smiley Happy)

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Canadianddd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,331
Message 5 of 8

BIOS doesn't have an option. Not sure though if the FN key and other hot keys are working. Maybe I didn't install a driver???? Not sure. As it concerns the power strip connector for the backlit, I already took the keyboard off and reinstalled it in order to make sure that the connector is ok. Still nothing though. I am wondering if I have to replace the keyboard and if this one is going to work? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-for-IBM-Lenovo-Ideapad-P500-P500A-laptop-Keyboard-backlit-/161184222195?h...
Guru
Views: 1,320
Message 6 of 8

Backlight is usually not driver-based, so I don't think that's the issue.

And that's the correct keyboard replacement for your model. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Highlighted
Canadianddd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,309
Message 7 of 8

Is there a way to check if the keyboard backlit it fried so I can make sure I need a new one?

Guru
Views: 1,303
Message 8 of 8

I'm not aware of any way to determine if backlit is fried, since it's not controlled by a driver, but it seems to me to be just a dead backlit power cable.

Regards,
Eric Xu

Top Kudoed Authors