cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwaynew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,508
Message 1 of 6

Keyboard "u" doesn't enter a character but brings up a menu box together with audio message

Had a wireless optical mouse fail; flickering it appeared to open dozens of windows before I could pull the plug.  I closed windows, closed laptop.

Reopening laptop I got the normal "enter password".  As I keyed in each letter of password a black dot appeared on the screen - just as expected.  Untill the letter "u".  When the "u" was keyed the black dot did not appear, instead a box was displayed offering 4 options (sorry I was in a mild panic, unable to enter my password on a new system in an unknown state and, 70+ years old, don't recall details of the box's text).  There was also an audio message playing, describing the same 4 options.  (note that his is not about Fn-F8 numeric entry of the number 4, that the text happened to have 4 options is unrelated)

This repeated each time I tried to enter password.  So I began to explore, trying other keys to see what others might have unexpected (by me) function.  None that I found.  Returning the "u" key, it now worked.

Two questions: 1) what state was I in and  2) what is way to terminate that state (should I accidentally get there again)

Thanks

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,451
Message 2 of 6

Re: Keyboard "u" doesn't enter a character but brings up a menu box together with audio me

can you try external ( or wifi ) keyboard and check the issue persists?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
rwaynew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,420
Message 3 of 6

Re: Keyboard "u" doesn't enter a character but brings up a menu box together with audio me

Since problem was corrected (described in 1st note above) there is nothing now to test with another keyboard.  Hope is that someone can identify a program/task shipped with Lenovo laptops that uses the "u" key to invoke a help-like function. Thanks.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,404
Message 4 of 6

oops! sorry, my mistake.

could be mainboard or bios issue.

have you tried to flash bios update?

by the way, which model of lenovo do you have?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Retired Guru
Views: 1,396
Message 5 of 6

One idea

Windows logo key +U

Open the Ease of Access Center

Try it and see if that is the menu you saw.

It was probably linked to the mouse going crazy?

rwaynew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,378
Message 6 of 6

My "u" problem would seem to be just one case of what is being described in the "Random Unwanted Keyboard Shortcuts" thread.  There is even a description of the box brought up by "u".  Suggest this thread be abandoned, with any further responses made there.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors