Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheGreekFire
Paper Tape
Views: 137
Message 1 of 4

Knucklehead move, Screen back-light is now compromised. (Y500)

Long story short, I unplugged my laptop screen while the computer was running and then plugged it back in. External displays still work but the backlight on my screen is now broken (flashlight behind the screen shows the display). I have tried to research how to diagnose and test my laptop to find out where the blue smoke escaped but I could not find anything substantial for my model (IdeaPad Y500).

Thanks y'all!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 120
Message 2 of 4

Re: Knucklehead move, Screen back-light is now compromised. (Y500)

Those symptoms are usually a blown fuse on the motherboard.  (not normally replaceable)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TheGreekFire
Paper Tape
Views: 117
Message 3 of 4

Is there a diagram I could look at to find it, or will it be noticeable when I open it up? Help guides for other laptops  said it was usually near where the screen cable connects to the motherboard. Once found will i be able to find a part number or specs so I can find a replacement? 

Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 92
Message 4 of 4

I have never taken this model apart so I don't know.  I'm not even sure it is fused, but with an LED backlight, electrical problems don't normally damage the screen

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors