Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remadon
Paper Tape
Views: 58,770
Message 11 of 59

Re: LENOVO P500 BRIGHTNESS ISSUE!

Hello! As I posted in anoter thread for the P500 Brightness Issue:

I'd just like to start by saying this error was casued by a Driver Update downloaded by Windows Update for the Intel HD Graphics 4000. The new update causes Windows  to fail to control the backlight.

Symtoms:

- Pressing the Brightness keys ether does not change the display brightness, or causes the display to go to minimum brightness at all times.

How to Fix:

Hit the Start Button + R on your keyboard, this will open the "Run" Box. In the Run Box you should type devmgmt.msc     This will directly open the device manager.

(It must be spelled EXACTLY this way, and you must type the .msc to open this window. Alternatively, you may find the Device Manager via Administrative Tools > Computer Management in the Control Panel after selecting View > Large/Small Icons from the dropdown list in the top right corner.)

This will open the Windows Device Manager, Once the Window is loaded and the devices appear, double click "Display Adapters" Then right-click "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000", Click Properties from the dropdown list.

Once in the Properties window click the Driver Tab, Then click on the "Roll Back Driver" button. If you are prompted if you want to install the previous version of the drivers, Select "Yes" Windows will Install the older (and in this case, working) driver and reboot, or prompt you to reboot, depending on your settings.

Please Note the following before attempting the above instructions;

- YOU MUST Have Administrative Privilages to use the Device Manager

- DO NOT Confuse "Roll Back Driver" and "Uninstall". Uninstalling The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Driver May cause failure to display graphics at all, or the standard VGA driver will load and you will have sub-optimal video graphics until you install the proper driver.

- DO NOT Uninstall or Rollback any other drivers, they are unrelated to this guide and may casue system unstability and loss of functionality of devices.

Alternatively, You may find the old drivers in your backup partition, Usually Labbed "Lenovo (D)", in my case this partition was lost when I installed a faster RPM drive to my machine.

Hope this information helps

muntyan
Paper Tape
Views: 58,735
Message 12 of 59

Thanks so much, installing drivers from D:\Drivers fixed this issue for me.
AndrewInCali
What's DOS?
Views: 58,683
Message 13 of 59

I had the same issue with a P500 from Best Buy. Rolling back the driver solved the problem.

Strange that a driver would disable the brightness control.   The level was fine until I hit the screen brightness button, then it went to fully dim.

Thanks for the help!

thanhtao
What's DOS?
Views: 58,004
Message 14 of 59

Thank you, remadon.
I do it, my PC come back good.
BIGTAG
What's DOS?
Views: 57,934
Message 15 of 59

THANK

@Remadon wrote:

Hello! As I posted in anoter thread for the P500 Brightness Issue:

I'd just like to start by saying this error was casued by a Driver Update downloaded by Windows Update for the Intel HD Graphics 4000. The new update causes Windows  to fail to control the backlight.

Symtoms:

- Pressing the Brightness keys ether does not change the display brightness, or causes the display to go to minimum brightness at all times.

How to Fix:

Hit the Start Button + R on your keyboard, this will open the "Run" Box. In the Run Box you should type devmgmt.msc     This will directly open the device manager.

(It must be spelled EXACTLY this way, and you must type the .msc to open this window. Alternatively, you may find the Device Manager via Administrative Tools > Computer Management in the Control Panel after selecting View > Large/Small Icons from the dropdown list in the top right corner.)

This will open the Windows Device Manager, Once the Window is loaded and the devices appear, double click "Display Adapters" Then right-click "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000", Click Properties from the dropdown list.

Once in the Properties window click the Driver Tab, Then click on the "Roll Back Driver" button. If you are prompted if you want to install the previous version of the drivers, Select "Yes" Windows will Install the older (and in this case, working) driver and reboot, or prompt you to reboot, depending on your settings.

Please Note the following before attempting the above instructions;

- YOU MUST Have Administrative Privilages to use the Device Manager

- DO NOT Confuse "Roll Back Driver" and "Uninstall". Uninstalling The Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Driver May cause failure to display graphics at all, or the standard VGA driver will load and you will have sub-optimal video graphics until you install the proper driver.

- DO NOT Uninstall or Rollback any other drivers, they are unrelated to this guide and may casue system unstability and loss of functionality of devices.

Alternatively, You may find the old drivers in your backup partition, Usually Labbed "Lenovo (D)", in my case this partition was lost when I installed a faster RPM drive to my machine.

Hope this information helps

THANK YOU!!

simonthorpe
Paper Tape
Views: 57,485
Message 16 of 59

I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy. I have installed the latest driver from Intel, still CANNOT change the brightness. I am unable to rollback the driver because I installed my own Windows 8 version (I wanted Win8 Enterprise so I could join my home domain.) I did buy the laptop from BestBuy as well.

Can anyone please put the driver files from your D:\ drive online somewhere? I no longer have those and it seems that is the ONLY way to get this stupid brightness issue fixed.

simonthorpe
Paper Tape
Views: 57,470
Message 17 of 59

Please can someone post a zip of the driver files? I really can't use this computer in its current state.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 57,607
Message 18 of 59

Hi
The driver from the lenovo site would fix the issue too.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS032589
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
ronboyle
What's DOS?
Views: 57,214
Message 19 of 59

This has happened to me twice. It is Microsoft update automatically installing new drivers. This fix has worked both times for me.

1. Go to control panel-system-device manager. Expand display adaters. double click on the intel display adapter. Select the driver tab on top. Click roll back driver. My brightness came back after a restart.

LocalHero
Punch Card
Views: 56,664
Message 20 of 59

I've tried all these solutions and downloaded multiple drivers but none of it has made any difference.    This is a Lenovo refurb that I just got yesterday.   It's going back if I can't solve this.   

With all the folks having this problem, you'd think Lenovo would make sure this is working before shipping these out!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors