Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 139 (53,352 Views)

LENOVO Y500 BATTERY NOT CHARGING AFTER USING LENOVO'S BATTERY GAUGE CALIBRATION

I bought lenovo y500 two days ago in INDIA.  In the lenovo energy management system 8.0, I found a battery calibration option and decided to do it.  The steps mentioned there were as follows.

1. Full charge

2. Full discharge

The process performed full charging followed by complete discharge of the battery which caused the laptop to shut down.  

When I tried turning on my laptop, it could not start.  The battery charging indicator LED wasnt switched on even though the power cord was inserted into the laptop.  I could start the laptop only after removing the battery.  

Once the laptop was on, I inserted the battery back in and it began to charge.  After about 50% of charging, I removed the power cord and inserted it again.  Now the battery couldnt resume charging.  I again had to shut down the laptop and repeat the above steps of inserting battery after switching on the laptop without battery.  Only then the battery would resume charging.

After this, I decided to allow the battery to charge to 100%. But, the charging remained stuck at 99% and could not fully charge the battery.  When I removed and reinserted the power cord, the same problem persisted of battery not resuming charging.

Please help me with this problem.  I read on few forums about uninstalling microsoft ACPI which supposedly solves this issue.  However, ACPI returns back after I restart my laptop.

I also tried switching the BIOS settings to default.  But it still did not solve the issue.

PLEASE HELP

Punch Card
Message 2 of 139 (53,305 Views)

[ Edited ]

ADMIN Edit - While the original post below is marked as the solution, because service will be required if the battery will no longer charge after performing a battery reset, I am adding a Lenovo update here to confirm.   Normal operation will allow the battery to relearn its capacity characteristics when using the battery reset function.  Typically this is not needed in normal use..   Batteries are equipped with a safety feature that will permanently disconnect them (like a fuse) if cell imbalance or an internal short is detected.   This tends to be statistically infrequent, but also normal, and would require a battery replacement.  (Batteries have a 1 year warranty).   This battery feature can also  produce similar results to what is being discussed in the thread, so it should first be considered by service.   This particular  forum discussion also involves a situation that could affect a limited number of systems, and could lead service to replace the system board during warranty.  

If your system experiences these symptoms, please contact service during the warranty period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dear iconoclast

Hi I also have the same exact problem as you.

One Key Recovery does not work.

Performing the battery gauge reset again won't work.

Let me just tell you that you have to contact customer support and send it back for repair.

The tech support representive told me to try uninstalling lenevo energy management,

but this didnt work for me either.(you can give it a try)

They told me that others are also having the same problem as well, so it's not just you.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y580-doesn-t-charge-and-doesn-t-detect-the-...

My Y500 worked perfectly until I did the battery recalibration.

I have sent mine back for repair and waiting for it right now.

I suggest you do the same and never touch the energy management again.

Good luck

Moderator Note; subject reverted to original

Punch Card
Message 3 of 139 (53,187 Views)

Re: LENOVO Y500 BATTERY NOT CHARGING AFTER USING LENOVO'S BATTERY GAUGE CALIBRATION

very much true zeinmaster...

The tech support told me to perform battery reset again and also to uninstall the software just like u said. 

I'll probably send it for repair now

Punch Card
Message 4 of 139 (52,921 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lenovo has assured me that the replacement will arrive within a week. Till then I will use the same laptop but I seem to have encountered another problem with it. Somehow, the inbuilt speakers stopped working yesterday. I tried reinstalling the drivers but it did not fix the issue. The headphones work fine with it. It's only the inbuilt speakers that are not working. The laptop is hardly a week old but already strange things are happening to it. I'm getting a replacement so I'm not worried about it.

But so much problems within a week have made me raise concerns over the durability of this laptop.

If any of you have been using lenovo y500 for over six months, please share your experiences.

Moderator Note; subject edited; reverted to original

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 139 (54,124 Views)

Y500: a serious motherboard problem has been proved as a design defect. (Not only Y500)

[ Edited ]

Not only Y500, all Y series laptop might have this problem!!!!

The y500 battery management has a function that can reset the battery.

This function is called Battery gauge reset.

The process is fully discharge the battery and then fully charge it.

It is said there will be a serious problem if you try to use this function.

I do not know if it is a rumor, but the Chinese Lenovo technical engineers proved that this is a serious motherboard problem in Y500.

I know the Lenovo Chinese technique department is already try to solve this problem. And they said the only way to solve this problem is to replace the motherboard at this time.

By the inner test of the tech Dept, this problem occured everytime and on every sample.

"It is a serious problem that is proved as a design defect!" said by one of Chinese Lenovo engineers.

Some of my Chinese friends who also buy the Lenovo Y500 has already face this serious problem. Some of them had already replaced the mother board. 
Although they replaced the board, the problem is still exist, because the same consequence will happen again if they click the  Battery gauge reset.

My lenovo Y500 is still ok because I did not try to do this process. But I am really worry about this problem. Because the Chinese Lenovo technique department said they do not know if some other operate could cause this problem.

According to my Chinese friends, here are several problems they faced after they use this Battery gauge reset:
1: The laptop will fail to boot.
2: The power  adapter cannot be detected.
3: The battery cannot be detected.
4: Even when the boot is success( they asked for help by the Chinese Lenovo engineers), the battery guage reset can not be used again.
Punch Card
Message 6 of 139 (54,053 Views)

Re: Y500: a serious motherboard problem has been proved as a design defect

Wonderful... I just did this a couple mins ago. Computer turned off, won't boot back up...

I'm gonna leave the battery out for a bit and let the CMOS battery die, maybe that will fix it...

If anyone has any ideas please post up

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 139 (54,044 Views)

Punch Card
Message 8 of 139 (53,985 Views)

[ Edited ]

all Y500 users should see this post.

I had the same exact problem and sent it to the repair center.

Sure enough, they are replacing the motherboard.

Punch Card
Message 9 of 139 (52,557 Views)

Re: LENOVO Y500 BATTERY NOT CHARGING AFTER USING LENOVO'S BATTERY GAUGE CALIBRATION

I think the speaker issue is related, as my speakers just stopped working shortly after getting mine up and running off charger power only since I did the battery meter reset.

I wish I would have seen these issues earlier... never would have done it...

Punch Card
Message 10 of 139 (52,483 Views)

Thanks for replying...

Has your issue been resolved?
Top kudoed Authors