Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omercix
Paper Tape
Views: 592
Message 1 of 9

LENOVO Y510p Screen Flickering

Flickering and corruption happens when any kind of animations appear on the screen. It involves windows intefaces too. There are some screenshots below. I tried the things below : 

• Power drain.
  • I checked the flickering problem is still occurs outside the Windows OS, and I saw it is not.
  • Disabled auto brightness.
  • Configured power plans in windows.
  • Configured intel and nvidia graphics settings.
  • Reinstalled display drivers.
  • Updated BIOS firmware.

However, problem is not solved and nothing changed.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 570
Message 2 of 9

Re: LENOVO Y510p Screen Flickering

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Since you have re-installed the drivers, I doubt that's the issue.  I suspect the problem is hardware related.   Try booting the computer into Safe Mode and into the BIOS Setup to see if the problem continues there.

I would also try moving the lid open and closed to see if the screen distortion changes.  The images you have provided show distortion that could be caused by a bad video cable.  The video cable in any laptop is subject to flexing and the tiny wires inside are subject to breaking.  By moving the lid and noting any changes would be a good indicator the cable is in need of replacement or the cable has worked loose and needs to be reseated.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

omercix
Paper Tape
Views: 566
Message 3 of 9

Hello thanks for the answer.

"Try booting the computer into Safe Mode and into the BIOS Setup to see if the problem continues there."

I've tried this and there is not flickering on BIOS menu.

How can I know which cable is damaged? Actually I opened my laptop and disconnected every cable inside the laptop. Dissasemblied until I get out motherboard and connected every part and assemblied the laptop again. I tried this process for three times and at first time the problem was solved however after one day the problem occured again. In that time I played games watched videos and screen was pure. After one day the only thing I have done is closing the lid, and next day when I start up the laptop flickering was back. I've completed dissasembly and assembly process two more times but problem was not gone.

Also I forgot to mention that, speakers are not working too, and dissasembly and assembly process solved that issue too. When flickering is back, speakers are gone too.
omercix
Paper Tape
Views: 562
Message 4 of 9

I used this video as a guide , and I marked the time when he unplugs the video cable :

https://youtu.be/0xMIjXVzF18?t=5m55s
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 549
Message 5 of 9

The cable that is suspect is the video cable as shown in the video.  The fact that you were working inside your computer with the cables and the problem was resolved until the next lid closure, would be a good indicator that the video cable needs replacing. 

Now that the flickering has returned, are the speakers still working?

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

omercix
Paper Tape
Views: 539
Message 6 of 9

Yes , it has been always like that. When flicker starts , speakers are not working too.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 498
Message 7 of 9

Strange that it is happening like that .  Possibly you have two separate issues happening. 

omercix
Paper Tape
Views: 455
Message 8 of 9

Today I recieved an feedback from the Lenovo Service in my city and they offered me to change the motherboard and 2nd vga board and Lcd cable which cost almost 800 dollars. That is a huge amount for me so that I will not repair it on the authorized service , and maybe I will change only the Lcd cable if it will not solve the problem then I will think about the other changes.
polo_1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 436
Message 9 of 9

Hello, the amount is kinda outrageous. i`ve changed the mobo for a friend from a site like this : https://www.empowerlaptop.com/p/lenovo-y510p-motherboard/

we used the old cpu. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors