cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtmwerks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 530
Message 1 of 3

Laptop cooler recommendations and other questions to get this laptop gaming ready

Hi, first time Lenovo buyer and have a Y510-59370001    (http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/)

Was wondering how to get this gaming ready as my other laptops quickly deteriorated, almost certainly from a combination of poor quality and overheating. Please keep in mind I know very little about computer terms and how to...do certain tasks that might seem simple to everyone else. Although I am trying to learn.

So without further ado...

1) Choosing laptop cooler: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Configurable-R9-NBC-8PCK-GP/dp/B003ZMF27G/ref=pd_ybh_1  ... -     this one looks very promising, but should I choose 17 inch with 2 fans, or 19 inch with 3 fans? anyone know warranty for this since I"m buying off amazon? it's actually more expensive from the retailer (checked the site) I only worry about warranty since apparently 5% of these are defective after couple weeks. Also..is this tilted enough to provide enough elevation? Or should I purchase this (http://www.cmstore-usa.com/notepal-u-stand-notebook-cooler/) instead. obviously I don't need to tilt it up that much, but you get the idea.

2) Is anyone else extremely frustrated with windows 8? I'm very much considering switching back to windows 7. Any good reasons not to?

3) Ultrabay, what is it, where is it, does it have extra space/slots? What should I put in there? What's in it already? I'm thinking of upgrading hard drive to SSD btw since I heard putting an extra fan in there does almost nothing.

4) Software to install to monitor temperature: If it's not an install and ready to go software, i'm lost unfortunately. I installed things like this before on my desktop and temperatures flucuated wildly and inaccruately. Any tips on how to go about doing this?

5) Do I need to do anything else? I don't really understand drivers. I understand...for example, I have a graphics card, and for it to run optimally, I have to keep its "drivers" up to date. I'm confused, shouldn't in this day and age, where windows bombards me with updates every hour, that these things, like java and adobe, would stay automatically updated?

6) Laptop bag, any recommendations?

Thanks for any help!!

Guru
Views: 499
Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop cooler recommendations and other questions to get this laptop gaming ready

1/ Any cooler will be just fine.

For the Y510p I would suggest the Notepal X2 or X3 and line up the fans just below the intake area on the bottom.

3/ In the ultrabay you can place a extra GPU GT750M. Or a extra hard drive or a cooling fan.

You can replace your HDD with a SSD. You can use HDD cloning to clone the HDD to your SSD.

4/ HWMonitor, HWinfo64

6/ Laptop bag: get a laptop bag that is able to carry a laptop of 15 inch or bigger. Just get a random one. 

Bon voyage ! Smiley Happy

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

dtmwerks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 482
Message 3 of 3

Re: Laptop cooler recommendations and other questions to get this laptop gaming ready

Thanks for the reply.

1. Line up the fans? I see the U series you can adjust fans to various locations but can you do that with the x series? Also...where is the intake area? I know I feel hot air blowing out on the very left of the laptop, and that is where it is hot, is that where I should aim the fans? Where is in the intake?

3. I didn't get an option to choose and as everyone has said, there isn't much publicity with this either. Apparently some people can choose for their specific model to get an ultrabay and what comes with it? Is there a way to check if I have one and what it holds/how many slots?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors