cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artist8
Paper Tape
Views: 347
Message 1 of 4

Laptop (ideapad z500 touch) crashes and refuses to boot, needing to be booted from USB

Hi,

Basically, my girlfriend's laptop has been acting up for a couple of months now. Every other week, it will just crap out and refuse to start up past the POST screen. When this first happened, I googled to see how I could get her back in and created a recovery disk using the tools provided in Windows 8. Using this, she managed to recover some key files before having to reset the PC (deleting everything but the Windows files).

Since then, this problem has persisted despite several attempts to prevent it (using less of the hard disk, turning it off regularly and so on), and we were told at a laptop repair shop that it was most likely the hard disk. Upon hearing this, I ordered her a new Samsung hard drive (2.5 inch, 1tb, 5400rpm) to replace her existing one which seems to be dying/dead.

I have two main questions, which are:

1. Was the laptop repair guy correct in his assumption that it was the hard disk which was the issue?
  2. If we replace the old hard drive with the new one, can we retain the copy of windows and the various lenovo drivers and utilities it includes?

Thanks for your help,

A8

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 336
Message 2 of 4

Re: Laptop (ideapad z500 touch) crashes and refuses to boot, needing to be booted from USB

1.  Was the laptop repair guy correct in his assumption that it was the hard disk which was the issue?

Answer: Maybe.

2. If we replace the old hard drive with the new one, can we retain the copy of windows and the various lenovo drivers and utilities it includes?

Answer: Lenovo drivers and utilities are in D drive and also in Lenovo's download site. As to the copy of Windows it is
                    located in a hidden partition and difficult to copy.

Artist8
Paper Tape
Views: 329
Message 3 of 4

Re: Laptop (ideapad z500 touch) crashes and refuses to boot, needing to be booted from USB

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

Is there any way to know better what the issue is? What else could it be that would make a laptop black-screen and refuse to boot unless Windows was reset?

That's good news about the drivers and utilities. I'll check on those soon. As for the Windows, I understand that it would be difficult but surely there is some way it can be done? I googled and think OneKey Recovery might be something to look into. Any advice?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 316
Message 4 of 4

@Artist8 wrote:

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

Is there any way to know better what the issue is? What else could it be that would make a laptop black-screen and refuse to boot unless Windows was reset?

That's good news about the drivers and utilities. I'll check on those soon. As for the Windows, I understand that it would be difficult but surely there is some way it can be done? I googled and think OneKey Recovery might be something to look into. Any advice?

One possibity is that the hdd needs to be repaired since you can still reset.

The Windows provided by the manuafacturer can only be access/initialized through OKR. If OKR is not working properly you can't restore the drive to factory default.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors