Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nevermored
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 1 of 2

Left side of keyboard depresses down when hitting a key on new Z51

I just got a new Z51. The right side of the keyboard is okay. The left side...that side of the keyboard depresses when I hit a key. It's like there's no immediate support under the left side. I can see the section of the keyboard move downward.

I Googled it to see if this is just a cheap keyboard and if it's expected. Nothing came up on Google. This is super annoying type on. It feels like the keyboard is almost bouncing on that side if I type quickly. I also feel as if all the keystrokes aren't registered 100% of the time.

I called customer service and they sent me over to tech support (how is tech support supposed to help with a mechanical issue?). Tech support asked me for a picture of the problem, lol and didn't give me a tech support number. So what do I do now? 

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 146
Message 2 of 2

Re: Left side of keyboard depresses down when hitting a key on new Z51

Your laptop is under warranty, so I would return it and ask for a replacement if it is moving to that degree.    

The Keyboard is only held in by 3 screws and lifts up from the top, so you might look to see if all three screws are in place (see page 33 of the manual below)   If one of the screws is missing, it might explain why it seems loose.    In any case, have them replace or repair under warranty unless it can be simply tightened (see page 31 on how to tighten properly)

From the images within the manual, it appears that the keyboard simply rests on the Upper Case", which is all one single piece that forms the top of the laptop (see exploded view on page 85), so it cannot really go anywhere unless there is structure missing below.    

Lenovo Z41-70/Z51-70/ ideapad 500-14ACZ/ ideapad 500-15ACZ Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_z41-70_z51-70_ideapad_500_14_15_hmm_201507.p...

Lenovo Support Numbers Worldwide

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/iwslookupidea?linkTrack=Contact%20Us_step2:link1_International%20Wa...

Good Luck

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors