cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsleiti
What's DOS?
Views: 1,301
Message 1 of 4

Lenonvo Y40 touch pad and keyboard not working.

Hello,

My Y40 is runnig Windows 8.1 pro. After recently removing a virus using windows defender, I can no longer use my built in touchpad or keyboard; only external ones. 

In the device manager, I get a code 10 error for my touchpad but no error for my keyboard.

Please Help!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,287
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenonvo Y40 touch pad and keyboard not working.

hi rsleiti,

Welcome to the Forums.

If the keyboard is working fine on the login screen and then suddenly stops functioning when you get to the desktop / metro screen then the problem might be with the Filter Keys

Try to turn off Filter Keys by going to Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use then uncheck Turn on Filter Keys then hit apply.

- Link to picture 

As for the Touchpad, can you try the following:

1. Navigate to the Control Panel (Icon views) > Programs and Features and uninstall the Synaptics or ELAN driver then reboot.

2. Reinstall the Touchpad driver from the D:\Drivers\Touchpad folder or from the link below:

Touchpad Driver (Synaptic, Elan) for 64-bit Windows
96.3 MB

Let me know how it goes,

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

kc991
Paper Tape
Views: 1,210
Message 3 of 4

Hello,

After trying the advised solution posted above and finding no good results, I found the solution that worked for me and I hope that it will help those with a similar problem that I was experiencing:

Solution: Update the BIOS.

Yes, that's all it is. I did everything that everyone else had advised but nothing worked. This worked for my non-functioning keyboard and touchpad that did not work in anything, not even in the BIOS.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

1. Go to the support page
  2. Type in the model of your laptop
  3. Download the latest BIOS
  4. Follow the instructions
  5. Finished

I hope I relieved people from their frustration.

alekhyasiruvuri
What's DOS?
Views: 1,013
Message 4 of 4

Thank you so much for this BIOS Update solution. I hated this laptop ever since I bought it. Mouse frequently seem to disappear for no reason. I was fed up with this problem. This time, I was stuck forever. Both keyboard and mouse stopped working. So I had to buy an external Logitech mouse and on screen keyboard to login and install this bios update.

Not so many people know about these BIOS updates. I have already made up my mind to not buy Lenovo again. Let's see how long this BIOS update will be stable.

Thanks man for posting the answer. If you hadn't done this, I would have shipped this trash back to Lenovo.

@kc991 wrote:

Hello,

After trying the advised solution posted above and finding no good results, I found the solution that worked for me and I hope that it will help those with a similar problem that I was experiencing:

Solution: Update the BIOS.

Yes, that's all it is. I did everything that everyone else had advised but nothing worked. This worked for my non-functioning keyboard and touchpad that did not work in anything, not even in the BIOS.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

1. Go to the support page
  2. Type in the model of your laptop
  3. Download the latest BIOS
  4. Follow the instructions
  5. Finished

I hope I relieved people from their frustration.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors