Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please noteour guidelines.How to register and login andCommunity FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

visit the blogCheck out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Lenovo 3000 N500 on XP ?

Hi .

This post is kind of some sort of blog ... about my "new" Lenovo 3000 N500 .

I've ordered it , and receive it soon . It's on vista ... and i'd love to put windows XP on that machine . 

Just because to me XP in unbeatable , it takes so little ram and CPU to run ...

I'll can get my good ol' cubase SX 3 , Fruity loops 7 , ableton 6 and Reason 4 running like heaven on that machine ...

i used to make those programs run on a sempron 2600 and 768 MB RAM ... it worked . Wasn't fancy , but worked on that ol' piece of junk i call a computer ... it died .

I bought a netbook from packard bell , but it runs only on Vista and Seven , and the processor is not really what i call powerful ...so , i'm willing to change for more performance 'cause i don't care if it's heavy or not , and even battery life ... i don't care about it . It will never last long , since my programs use lots of CPU and RAM ... i admit it , it was not a great choice [the netbook] . But it's a cute little computer , and i like it . So cute to have reason on it ...

So that's why when a friend told me he put his lenovo on ebay for 300$ i told to myself "oh , SWEET ! that's perfect . Just lacking a little RAM ... but RAM is cheap nowadays . And if by miracle i run XP , i won't need that much ram just tu run an OS ... ]

So now , the question : How to install XP on that ?

Retired Guru
0 Kudos

Re: Lenovo 3000 N500 on XP ?

[ Edited ]

First look over THIS Driver Matrix for your laptop.

XP drivers are available.

Do you plan on trying to keep the Lenovo Rescue & Recovery partition?

So it can be restored to *cough* Vista?

There are a few ways to go, so contine your "blog" with some more thoughts!

And, Welcome.

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Looks so good =D thank you Smiley Happy [and thanks for the welcome Smiley Happy ]

Just found my XP Pro SP2 CD , btw .

Can't wait to have the lenovo in my hands and try to put XP on it ...

Btw :

VLC for video , Safari for web surfing , Windows live suite for everything else , and Open Office Smiley Happy

And , yeah , i hate vista too x)

More news coming [i have to move through france for business from tomorrow to wednesday , but ... I'll be back] so keep on reading/answering , people !

Retired Guru
0 Kudos

Au revoir!

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

By the way , i'll try to use nlite on my Windows XP to implement the drivers and the SP2 .

And remove all the applications i don't use [wordpad , the games ... ] and get a cool version of XP ^^

anyway , i'll better go to bed .

A bientôt Smiley Happy

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"

Do you plan on trying to keep the Lenovo Rescue & Recovery partition?

So it can be restored to *cough* Vista?   "

Oh , why not keeping it . If i fail installing XP , i'll be happy to have a working computer back ... even if i hate vista .

Why ? because asio4all doesn't works right on it , and i don't know , it's slow and i get latency ...

so it's like ... i hit a note on my guitar ... plugged into guitar rig ... and i can walk the dog , see my gf , and watch the news before i hope to hear that tiny fizzy tone they dare to call a "great tube tone"  ...

but i need to do that to produce some tracks to promote my guitar lessons ...because it sounds better than a karaoke mic in front of my marshall . but if i have 200ms latency , how the hell am i supposed to play in rythm ?

With windows 7 , i ended up with a 50ms latency . Good , but not good enough . On my old beat-up piece of junk , i used to have 25ms , and could actually use guitar rig ... and it was junk (the computer , guitar rig was pretty decent) ...

hope i can have decent latency on a computer ... decent enough for XP Smiley Happy

Thoughs for the night . I'd bette get to bed ...

A bientôt Smiley Happy

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Hey ,

Back from bordeaux ...

am going to the post office tomorrow to take my computer .

More news soon !

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

grabbed the computer at the post office . Works fine on Vista ... now , let's try XP !

Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I tried to install XP . 

but i ended up with windows 7 ... 

so the conclusions : Yah , you can install XP on this machine . You got everything ... i did not got through the whole install process since i've lost my serial number ... and so ... i decided to install windows 7 because i did not wanted to spend too much time on my computer. 

Just set the disk drive from AHCI to IDE for XP ... and the install runs smooth , to me . And since you've got all the right drivers , it might be possible to have windows XP on that . 

but ... windows seven runs smooth and installed easily ... 

So i'll go for windows 7 . I've a really decent latency with asio4all , something like 12ms in full duplex @96000Hz . sounds awesome , by the way . [not as awesome as a 100$ sound card , but it sounds better than my packard bell) 

Anyway . It took me 15 minutes to install 7 , and it worked like perfection out of the box , and it runs so fast ... i've never had a computer running that smooth ... so i think i'll stay with windows 7 , safari , Windows live essentials , VLC and my audio programs ...