Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmonou
Paper Tape
Views: 3,155
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo 3000 Y410 - Cannot Hibernate

Hi All, I am new in here.

I have lenovo 3000 Y410. i have downgrade my lenovo from vista to xp. i added new 1GB RAM crossair so now my lenovo have 2GB RAM because sometime my lenovo could not hibernate and the xp give me warning that said "the memory is low" or something like that. but although the memory already 2GB my lenovo still cannot hibernate and the xp still said that warning.

I like to hibernate my laptop, beause with the hibernate, my lenovo can save batery and the programs will be still open that have be used before it goes hibernate.

Anyone have same problem with me? can help me?

Thanks before...

sorry my english bad...

Retired Guru
Views: 3,140
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo 3000 Y410 - Cannot Hibernate

Ensure that you have enough free space available in your hard drive. I've read somewhere that you need as much free space as you have RAM [2GB RAM means 2GB free space required]. Not sure as I am not a big user of hibernation.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
singhnsk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,091
Message 3 of 13

You only need to have free hard disk space in order to hibernate. Try removing unnecessary items from your C drive (or where you've installed windows) and it will start working...       Hibernation requires about 550 mb only....  No problem wether you have any amount of ram...

yakup84
Paper Tape
Views: 3,069
Message 4 of 13

Dear friend

all you need is free space Smiley Happy so dont worry your laptop doesnt really have problem Smiley Happy

wmonou
Paper Tape
Views: 3,056
Message 5 of 13

My lenovo still have free space up tu 60 Gigs on C (where my windows xp is installed)...

and another 80 on the other partition...

haaah lenovo seem only supported for vista..

should i turn it back to vista (although vista neither have hibernation)...

Solvan
802.11n
Views: 3,040
Message 6 of 13

@wmonou

I presume you get the message "the virtual memory low" when you are working on ms office(word, etc.). You may need to increase the size of the virtual memory. Please see the solution in the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826513/en-us

As for hibernation, you can automatically put your computer into hibernation on XP through control panel, by opening Power options and clicking the hibernation tab then checking on the box.

Hope these help.

wmonou
Paper Tape
Views: 3,030
Message 7 of 13

Thanks Solvan...

i got that message after my lenovo failed to hibernate, exactly after logon screen is appeared (it shows me "windows preparing to hibernate"), and then the windows back again to normal screen with that notice on the task bar.

yah you right, i'm not able to hibernate my lenovo when i run some spesific program for web development (i assume this is because of adobe dw cs3). when i checked the total memory size which is used by those programs (not only for adobe dw cs3 but also with apache, mysql server and some browser) is only about 800Mb. but before i added the additional RAM, my lenovo still fine with those program to make it hibernate.

and yah, i'm also have tried to resize my virtual memory up to 4096Mb before, but my lenovo still cant hibernate.

maybe i should try another RAM memory brand, rather than crossair. do you have sugesstion?

Message Edited by wmonou on 01-21-2009 03:27 PM
Solvan
802.11n
Views: 3,021
Message 8 of 13

@wmonou

Selamat Pagi!

I have Y410 as well but I did not change my OS, it is still Vista.

Normally when computer hibernates, it puts everything you are working on from the memory(RAM) into the hard disk, that is why we need free disk space equivalent to the RAM size.  However, you mentioned that you have enough space on your HD so it might not be the reason.

By the way did you enable the hibernation feature using the Control Panel-Power Options as suggested.

Let me know if after enabling hibernation, you still have the same result.

wmonou
Paper Tape
Views: 3,011
Message 9 of 13

Hello Solvan
"Selamat Siang"

Yah i have enabled the hibernation option from control panel.
Like i mentioned before, if i have those programs not closed, i got my lenovo failed to hibernate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -
does PNG talk in Indonesian?
I am stuck here at Jayapura - Papua Smiley Happy
Message Edited by wmonou on 01-21-2009 09:22 PM
Message Edited by wmonou on 01-21-2009 09:23 PM
Solvan
802.11n
Views: 3,003
Message 10 of 13

Hi, wmonou.

Selamat Sore!  It's past 3:00 pm here now.

PNG speaks a lot of dialects, but speaks a common National language called "Tok Pisin" = broken english.  I am not from here, only working.  I was in Indonesia in 2005 during the Tsunami relief operation in Banda Aceh.

I am not sure if it is your RAM that is causing the computer not to hibernate, but it is unlikely, unless the speed transfer of the RAM does not correspond to the CPU and FSB speeds.  It's just my guess. I am using the brand Transcend for my RAM, I have 3GB on my Y410. You may try to change your present RAM to this brand or other brand available in Jayapura or from Ratu Plaza(quite far, maybe you can order).

By the way, did you try to close those softwares that might be preventing hibernation and observe if it would result differently?

Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors